Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Projections

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Projections
September 10, 2006 12:21PM
Anyone know where they get W.v = &v.v + u.v = &v.v on page 731?

Thanks
Re: Projections
September 11, 2006 10:13PM
start with: w = &.v + u
you can get this from plain vector addition of the the parallel (&.v) and orthogonal (u) components of w. or the "triangle rule" if you prefer.

then multiply both sides by v, for no good reason other than to get the result: w.v = &.v.v + u.v

now the u.v = 0 part comes into play - you can substitute u.v in the previous equation with zero, giving you w.v = &.v.v as advertised. As it says in the textbook, u.v = 0 because u and v are defined as being orthogonal and the dot product of two orthogonal vectors is zero.
Anonymous User
September 12, 2006 03:37PM
for the statement

"then multiply both sides by v, for no good reason other than to get the result: w.v = &.v.v + u.v"

Vector dot product is not the same as vector multiplication.

But Would that mean you take the dot product of both sides?

September 13, 2006 08:37AM
I guess so. I kindof equated the two statement like I would have in highschool: multiply both sides by the same thing and the equality holds. I don't know my math well enough to know if taking the dot product on both sides yields the same result, but it certainly looks that way.
Anonymous User
September 13, 2006 12:25PM
September 17, 2006 09:48AM
Any idea why on p271 they chose to use P=ST instead of P=TS, which is simpler? i.e. are they not equivalent?

also. on p248 do you think that when they say the plane formed by n and v_up that they mean the plane formed by the point vrp and these two vectors? and if so how is that different from the plane that we're trying to find a reference frame for? and if it is different why should v lie in that plane. and why should v be a linear combination of n and v_up because of this? and why can we set beta=1?
Anonymous User
September 18, 2006 05:55PM
dont think we have to know this

I think we have to know the assignment maths , maths in the tutorials and the appendixes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login