Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Exam

Posted by AliWasp 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Exam
May 20, 2010 05:14PM
What did you guys think??
Re: Exam
May 20, 2010 05:20PM
I really don't know why the sample exam was given. I was of no use!
May 20, 2010 05:22PM
I thought it was really difficult to be honest. The mark allocation was often bizarre, and I thought it was way too long for 2 hours.

I studied really hard for this exam, and I know Qt quite well by now, but I don't think my results will reflect what I've learned. I think I'll pass, but I'm pretty sure I won't do well.

I though there was too much irrelevant theory and the programming questions were generally hard, especially the final question.

@jeanf

Yeah, tell me about it.
May 20, 2010 05:40PM
Yep really difficult for me too! I've worked so hard...the exam exemple was helpful but not as much as it should be...
Anonymous User
May 20, 2010 05:58PM
I was thrown by the heavy theory content of the paper. Generally that would not have been an issue, but I spent more time on understanding the programming itself than the underlying theoretical principles behind it (ironically enough, this did not prepare me much for Question 7 as that was the one area of Qt that I skimmed only, Murphy was an optimist).

I also think the textbook is often vague since the examples are almost never accompanied by any meaningful discussions of the thought processes behind them...the Ezust lectures would probably add to one's understanding, but I didn't have all of them.

Anyway, I don't want to sound as if I'm moaning too much. I enjoyed learning about the Qt framework and must admit that I like it quite a lot even though I have no idea how it compares to other, similar frameworks in its league.
May 20, 2010 06:07PM
Totally agree on the theory part phyzmatix. Having to draw memory diagrams totally threw me, since I didn't even look at that (truthfully, I don't even know where that is in the book). Question 7 was also tough for me.

As far as other frameworks go...look Qt is a good intro I suppose, but I know at least a dozen people who are software developers and they all work with Visual Studio and they all work with C#. If you want to do GUI stuff like this, C# is a much easier, more intuitive language to use. Qt is better than MFC (a widely used C++-based .net framework that does similar things to Qt) I guess, if you HAVE to write GUI code by hand. But if you have VS, I cannot fathom why you'd rather use Qt than MFC. That said, it's just my opinion, as I know some people passionately love Qt for some reason. Whatever floats your boat tbh.
May 20, 2010 09:46PM
Ok i'm glad your response are similiar to my feelings, question 7 was a right off for me, I think the example exam paper was way easier then the actual exam, i think I got a supplementary exam but dunno if I passed sad smiley
May 25, 2010 05:54PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login