Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Does Major matter?

Posted by Kilhra 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Does Major matter?
October 28, 2010 09:02AM
i have 3 modules left to do next year and is in the position where if I do 3Cos modules I have a cos major, if I do 2 Inf modules I have an Inf major.

Looking at the brochure for cos modules there is only 1 that i'm interested in.

I was planning on doing a COS major, especially since I work in development, but does it matter all that much?
October 28, 2010 01:30PM
I have major'd in both COS and INF. Also do dev work. Both was valuable: COS = more logic & programming, INF = more design & analyst.
You need both of them in your daily work.
If you do an Hons, you can select 4x COS, 4x INF and just "register" your project & main subject in either COS/INF.
Decide which will interest you more, are the most advantage to your further career changes, are the easiest to pass (read up on the forums on comments), and then decide.
(Not sure if I really helped - might have confused you more.)
Re: Does Major matter?
October 28, 2010 01:54PM
Hi Reanie

I am currently busy with my honours degree and have to decide which major I want

i was always set on a cos major, but there really are no cos modules left that I want to do.
October 28, 2010 08:39PM
Aren't you supposed the select your major when you registered for Hons? The INF and COS streams have different codes, don't they?
Even so, as long as you have the minimum of any 4 subjects in the major that you registered in, you can select any other subjects - even non-INF/COS for the other 6. That's how I understood the rules.
So, it comes back to, which of the 3 subjects that you are considering, is the most interesting and useful in the future?
October 29, 2010 08:32AM
I really want a COS major at honours level; So far I'm registered for COS462; COS451; COS407; And I'll need to do 3 more next year. I am not worried about how interesting the modules look; i'm just scared cos they look seriously difficult. So I've decided to do COS430B possibly COS492R and I'll need one other to complete the list. Kilhra I'm not sure what you've already done. I used to think BSc Honours Computer Science was more valuable than BSc Honours Information Systems but if you look at the job adverts you'll find it says Relevant degree required (BSc or BSc Honours) I have never seen an advert as yet that says BSc Honours Computer Science.
Re: Does Major matter?
November 01, 2010 08:01AM
Reanie - I know how picking majors etc works, that is not a problem, my issue is which one will be most useful in the real world.

At this stage, Inf actually looks more useful than Cos, not to mention that the modules looks more interesting as well.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login