Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installing Oracle on Windows Vista

Posted by migamildien 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Installing Oracle on Windows Vista
March 24, 2009 11:36PM
Has anyone managed to successfully install the Oracle that we got on the cd on Windows Vista? I havent tried yet because I've been reading that people are having issues. Does anyone have a tried and tested solution to this without using a virtual machine?

Also, I went on the Oracle website and I see there a Oracle 10g Release 2 (10.2.0.1) Express Edition. Can this be used for our course? Its software requiments stated - One of the following 32-bit Windows operating systems: 1) Windows 2000 Service Pack 4 or later 2)Windows Server 2003 3)Windows XP Professional Service Pack 1 or later. Nothing about Windows Vista.
avatar Re: Installing Oracle on Windows Vista
March 25, 2009 07:56AM
There is a specific version for Vista. Version 10.2.0.3/10.2.0.4

I have used it with both assignments, however, there are a few rights issues that you will run into. I cannot remember all the details but you will have to give the student user create view rights or something before question 5(I think) will work. You will also have one or two issues with later questions, all related to rights.

I ran the scripts on my laptop with XP and provided oracle; everything went smooth without the need to add the rights.

Cobus Neethling
Re: Installing Oracle on Windows Vista
May 14, 2009 12:11PM
I chose to have both Vista and XP on my machine. So I boot into XP for Oracle . That way i did not have to uninstall my Vista.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login