Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Cant pass tcl tests??

Posted by Mariusvn 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Cant pass tcl tests??
July 27, 2006 10:45PM
When I test my server with my own client it works fine but I cannot pass the tcl client tests and I dont know where to even start looking for what could be wrong. Does anybody have any ideas?
Re: Cant pass tcl tests??
July 27, 2006 11:13PM
I would help if I could Marius, but I can't even get tcl up and running. See my last thread posted today.
July 28, 2006 12:49AM
I also had issues with tcl. The steps i followed was:
1. Install the tclenvironment from the utils directory on the 2006 cd
2. Unzip the tcl testclient zip file into a new directory - it could be any directory
3. make sure that tclsh84 is in your path - it asks you if it should do that in the installation but it doesnt so you have to do it manually
4. it should now run from the directory where you unzipped bobs client into by typing tclsh84 client.tcl

I have a suspicion that my problem has something to do with exceptions but am not sure.
July 28, 2006 08:01AM
You can open the tcl file in notepad, from there you should be able to follows the test logic. Have a look at what it is testing for and where you are failing. This is what I did to figure out where I was going wrong. I also found that I wasn't passing my exceptions correctly (had and & where I should have had one) and once I corrected this everything went better.
July 28, 2006 09:45AM
Yes I did that but I dont understand how to throw the exception for checking the balance of an account. Throwing an exception in the methods of a class that just returns a value? What do you use to trigger the exception? Surely this is handeled in the client?Similar arguments for basically all the methods. The withdraw method with the bankrupt exception does work in my client but does not trigger in the tcl client and I have no idea why.

any help would be appreciated!
July 28, 2006 11:48AM
If you are not passing the tcl client tests there must be something wrong with your server implementation. I am very confident of my client, having now used it to test the 15 or so earlybird assignments we have received.

How you throw exceptions is not a client issue at all. Your server must throw the correct exception as specified in the idl. If it does not then it will fail the tcl client test, regardless of whether it plays nicely with your own client or not.
avatar Re: Cant pass tcl tests??
July 31, 2006 12:42AM
Yup.

If your client works, and the tclclient fails ALL tests, then the name in the nameserver is different.

You must name your bank as "Bank" when it registers with the nameservice. If you name it "bank" or "myBank" or any other whatever it won't work.

That's my guess with your problem.

--ilAn
July 31, 2006 01:04AM
my nameserver is named Bank. I do pass the first test but I am completetly stumped as to why not any of the other. You cant fix something if you dont know what is wrong. Ill submit it as is and will see what happens.

Thanks
July 31, 2006 02:05AM
Hmm. Is your server running when you run the test? The first test is just for the nameserver, the second to resolve the name in the nameserver to the object itself.

-- ilAn
July 31, 2006 08:08AM
I pass 5 or 6 tests when I setup the account to have only one ptr returned (i.e. no other authentication, there is only on account, the rest is not implemented.) Obviously the other tests will fail.
My server crashes somewhere here at the open(); and always when I test the map size I get a non zero value - something big - which leads up to the crash later. So that has me stumped and I am about to give up.

I have been sick for 19 days of the past 6 weeks, and been playing catch up for all my courses and I need like 70/80 here - which I won't get.

I really like this course,so well I might do it again next year.
July 31, 2006 09:00AM
If you submit your code only passing the first test I think you will get approx 15% for it (10% for the build plus 5% for the test).

If you are considering doing this course next year (voluntarily or not) bear in mind that there will be changes. Instead of continuing with CORBA, next year's cos311 will be built around the QT 4.1 toolkit from www.trolltech.com. Sorry I won't be here to teach it - it should be a lot of fun.

Bob

July 31, 2006 11:07AM
Can you give us a mark breakdown.

So I know what I get for 9 out of ll.

-- ilAn
July 31, 2006 11:12AM
Can't remember exactly. You'll have to ask Ms le Roux. But it is basically linear, ie your mark will be:

B + a (number of tests passed)

Where B is the mark for building correctly and a is the multiplying factor.

Bob
July 31, 2006 12:00PM
advanced programming corba and ap QT are 2 different things! I can't resell my textbook, but if I did pass this course I would rather do QT than Computer Graphics, from what I hear about the course
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login