Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boole not working

Posted by wlottering 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Boole not working
March 11, 2009 02:17PM
Hi,

I found my software and I want to start using the software. So far I have been having problems with Boole. The only target sentence I can get a green number on is a = b. I've even tried the example in the manual, it is also ill-formed. What am I doing wrong?
March 16, 2009 07:42PM
OK you're getting Boole up and running, you're typing in various sentences, and then you're being told your sentences are not well formed, but that doesn't necessarily mean that Boole's not working. Your information is a bit sparse. Maybe you should give a sample of a sentence that didn't work? I've opened up Table 4.12.tt , which has been to the grade grinder and been ground, so it should be OK. I'll give the top line as a sample, and hope that gets you started.

A | B | ~(A || cool smiley | ~A & ~ B

(That's what Boole's CTRL-C gives - slightly edited - so you could do the same. Unfortunately mine refuses to select all, so I've copied expression by expression).

Could it be that you don't have your premises right? (I'm just working from left to right here) They should also have green marks above them.

Then you should get your expressions divided by a line (but that might be later than the example phase).

Let's have some more info, then next week when I lurk by, if someone who knows what he's doing hasn't helped, I'll see if I can guess the source of the trouble.
April 15, 2009 07:32AM
I cannot enter anything in Boole. It freezes as soon as I click anywhere on the window, except the menus?? Need to end task.
Tarski and Fitch work fine!!
April 16, 2009 07:03AM
OK, now working. Saw there was an old jre in the LPL folder, so I installed jre6
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login