Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Is this a year module or semester module.

Posted by visnaicker 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Is this a year module or semester module.
February 18, 2009 09:40AM
Firstly I wish to state that I want all of those decision makers at Unisa or are forcing me to do this module to have their private organs rot and fall out.

This is a first year module. I can't find the specifics but I understand that 1st year modules have been converted into semester modules. So I should be able to register for this module in June ( after selling my privates to pay for this stupid module)?
avatar Re: Is this a year module or semester module.
February 18, 2009 04:41PM
I dunno maybe it is, but my first assignment for cem is due feb, yet I only need to complete the course by november. You write the exams when you want.

Adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up because they are trying to get ideas.
- Paula Poundstone
February 19, 2009 12:37PM
It's neither. You can complete it whenever you want as long as it is within the maximum validity period of the logbook as laid down by the the ICDL organaization
- 5 years from the date you receive your logbook
- 3 years from the date you write your first test (as long as the 3 years fall within the 5 year period stated above)

If you don't do all the tests within these periods you need to get a new logbook at redo the test you have done before. You also need to reregister at Unisa each year for this module until you have done all the tests at the full course fee AFAIK. There is also the MCQ assignment you need to do (each year you reregister) by some due date so Unisa knows you are registered etc.

Btw, you need to read the tutorial letters as they contain all this information.
February 19, 2009 01:12PM
I have not registed for this module.

It will be by 30th Module. I have 2 COS3xx modules & 1 INF3xx module to complete this year. I did not register for this module as I didn't expect to raise the money. Now my PC crashed - cpu burnt out - old mb means I need to get a new cpu/mb/memory/psu - and I won't be able to scrimp for this module these next few months. Since I want to complete my degree this year, I will need to register this module.I am trying to figure out if I can register in June and have it done by November. The closing date for addition of year modules is in March it think.
February 19, 2009 01:32PM
My bad. You can get the tutorial stuff from osprey. From what I can gather (from the tut as well as Calender 2) this is still a year module for the purpose of registration. Best is to contact the lecturers directly and confirm this.
Re: Is this a year module or semester module.
February 19, 2009 04:29PM
This is a year module and is actually the ICDL course.
You will not be able to register in June, only next year again. On the up side, you need to write 7 tests at your own pace. You can therefore finish ICDL within a month or two. UNISA will however only recognise you reults at the end of the year. sad smiley
February 20, 2009 07:10AM
This sucks. I expected that all 1st year modules were now semester courses. So basically I am screwed. If I pass my 3 modules this year I will be left with this one worthless module holding me back from qualifying this year. I wish I could substitute another module instead, at least I can make up the minimum payment for other modules. It looks like I have to borrow money which is totally against the way I like to live.
February 21, 2009 06:00PM
This is probably the most useless module I have ever seen on this level. Since almost everything is already Internet based there must be only a small handful of people not computer literate. On top of that, I never could get the logic of how computer newbies can master computer basic and programming side by side - it doesn't make sense. This is even worse now, as some students might finish some of their programming courses before they are "computer literate"...

If any powers that be are reading this - why not let first years do a practical test as part of the registration process to test competencies? I bet that more then half of the students would be able to get this module off.

And why on this green earth must we use MS Office !? Should tertiary education maybe not consider something like TeX? Then we can at least add professional finishes to our assignments... And it comes with some nice front-ends like LyX...

Done venting - back to assignments...

--
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (Albert Einstein)
February 21, 2009 06:57PM
you don't have to use MS office. You can upload PDF documents for assignments too.
February 21, 2009 09:23PM
For assignments yes - but this module forces me to learn MS Office. That just sucks.

ICDL is supposed to be platform/suite neutral. Will Unisa still recognize the certificate if I do the OpenICDL courses and certification?

--
Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. (Albert Einstein)
Re: Is this a year module or semester module.
March 30, 2009 10:14AM
you ca register Icdl at colleges and after completing give them you certificate ,so there can give you the credit
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login