Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone reading? Help please - need assistance with subject choices

Posted by kay 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
kay
Anyone reading? Help please - need assistance with subject choices
January 05, 2009 12:33PM
Hi everyone,

I've been trying to get hold of anyone who knows even a little about this to no avail. Probably just the wrong time of year I guess. I am trying to register for 04545, BSc Hons Computer Science but I cannot find the course-specific brochure. I would like to register for these modules for 2009:

COS408D DATASTRUCTURES AND ALGORITHM
COS416D THEORY OF PROGRAM LANGUAGES
COS451G ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE 1
INF417N SOFTWARE ENGINEERING
INF431L INFORMATION SECURITY

Assuming the general admission requirements are met, is there anything wrong with my choices? Any conflicts, etc.? I will obviously have to do some more next year but are these OK as a start? I was told by the call centre that there are no module specific pre-requisites but I would just like to double-check with someone from the school of computing before I pay and complete my registration.

Please let me know - either by replying here, or drop me a line at pcholakov@gmail.com.

Thanks a ton!
Pavel
avatar Re: Anyone reading? Help please - need assistance with subject choices
January 05, 2009 01:46PM
Hi;

I am doing Hons computer science, abt the rules....

u need @ least 6 cos modules to major in computer science, the others can b inf.

The brochure does advise that if u take module a then you should take module b,r and t.

here is the link to the brochure : http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/honse.pdf
kay
Re: Anyone reading? Help please - need assistance with subject choices
January 05, 2009 02:52PM
That is exactly what I needed! Thanks very much! smileys with beer
avatar Re: Anyone reading? Help please - need assistance with subject choices
January 06, 2009 07:29AM
Be aware that you MUST take research for computing, so you should probably add that to your first year modules.
Although you have probably read as much in the brochure by now smiling smiley

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
kay
January 06, 2009 09:56AM
I did see that, and apparently COS416D is not available this year, so I substituted the research module and kept the other choices. So once again, thanks very much for the link - it's crazy that the contact centre couldn't find and send me this exact document!
January 14, 2009 10:17AM
If you need to know anything, I suggest you contact the lecturer direct, Unisa contact centre is very useless, I wonder sometimes why does it exists in the first place!confused smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login