Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1

Posted by ilanpillemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
February 25, 2008 11:52PM
Hi,

I submitted Assignment 1 on the 12th February 2008. It was quite a strange assignment as due to the fact the Q1(iii) is not valid; it made answering some of the questions not as straight forward as it would have otherwise been.

Curveball...

smiling bouncing smiley

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anonymous User
Re: Assignment 1
February 26, 2008 07:16AM
cool, now you can wait until june for a marked assignment back winking smiley from my past experience, you will get full credits just for submitting the assignment smiling smiley
March 17, 2008 09:59AM
ilanpillemer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi,
>
> I submitted Assignment 1 on the 12th February
> 2008. It was quite a strange assignment as due to
> the fact the Q1(iii) is not valid; it made
> answering some of the questions not as straight
> forward as it would have otherwise been.
>
> Curveball...
>

yeah, I'm definitely not pleased that out of the
three assignments that I've started, two of them
have errors in 'em!!!
March 19, 2008 11:31PM
what was the other assignment with an error?

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
April 17, 2008 04:26PM
Explain to me how you did the other questions for this assignment. Q1(iii) is not valid, so how can you argue that it is valid for Q2? Also the tableaux for Q5 will not close -- it can't: if it did it would be valid and it isn't. Consequently constructing the Gentzen theorem is impossible (only valid propositions form Gentzen theorems: or am I missing something?).

This is immeasurably frustrating. Any help with this will be gladly accepted.
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 08:27AM
q1(iii) is not valid, so you don't argue that its valid for q2, you just show that it is invalid. q5 tableaux doesn't close so you can thus show that its invalid... but yes, the gentzen proof is not possible. You can do the gentzen proof and then because you can't get to the wanted statment, you can say the statement is invalid.
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 11:50AM
Thanks for the advice.

From an education/didactic perspective, it is just plain wrong to have a question asking to prove something is valid when it's invalid and then keep asking you to do the impossible repeatedly. It should rather have asked us to prove it isn't valid or ask us to figure out if it is isn't. The way the question is worded one is led to believe that it is undeniably valid.

I think I must try track down the lecturer and find out what the intention was: perhaps there's a typing error.
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 12:24PM
the lecturer has left unisa. Good luck tracking her down. It was a typing mistake I think.
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 12:48PM
Was if Prof Britz?
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 12:48PM
Was it Prof Britz?
Anonymous User
April 18, 2008 03:25PM
yerp
April 18, 2008 04:37PM
I spoke to the lecturer. She said it was a typo - but now that it was out in the wild - we must just show it to be invalid instead of valid - and explain why this creates difficulties for Gentzen proofs.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
April 19, 2008 03:41PM
hi all
i emailed the lecturer to check about what to do with question 1(iii) being invalid and this was the reply.

Hi

You are quite right. The formula in Question 1 (iii) is not valid. Please look at the discussion on the module website on osprey.

Regards,
Arina Britz
arina.britz@meraka.org.za

I also think that it was a silly error which causes us soooo much wasted effort with the added difficulty.grr.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login