Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Accessing Additional Prescribed Material

Posted by IanBruwer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Accessing Additional Prescribed Material
February 27, 2008 11:39AM
I can't seem to access the additional prescribed material.
Database systems: Concepts, Languages and Architectures (1999) Atzeni, P., Ceri, S.,
Paraboschi,S., Torlone, R. McGraw Hill.
Chapter 9: 281-344. Note this source will be referred to as Atzeni et al.
Database Management Systems (2003) 3rd edition Ramakrishnan, R & Gehrke, J. McGraw Hill.
Chapter 12: Overview of Query evaluation: 393-417
Chapter 27: Information Retrieval and XML data: 926-959
Note this source will be referred to as Ramakrishnan & Gehrke.

I must be doing something wrong since the instructions given in the tutorial letter gives me nothing but the prescribe book listing.

Are we meant to purchase these books as well or are we meant to download the relevant chapters.

Ian
Anonymous User
Re: Accessing Additional Prescribed Material
February 27, 2008 11:50AM
is this additional material hat you have to get or just extra material thats nice to have. wow, they changed the syllabus already? If you lof into unisa's library, you should be able to get copies of the books - I think you do a book request or something - the librarian makes phototcopies of the pages you want and posts them to you. But if You can't find the stuff just emai lthe librarian withthe book names and the page numbers, send your student id and tell them what course its for. they are helpful (if a bit slow)
Anonymous User
February 27, 2008 12:03PM
the tut letter says that the material will be available on myunisa later on. the honours year only starts at the end of march/beginnign of april so they will probably put it on myUnisa or osprey by then. Otherwise if you follow the instructions you will get a list of 2007 and 2008 prescribed books - those you can get fro mthe library but there are limited copies so I am not sure if they do actually send them to you. the 2007 prescribed book is one of the additional materical books - so perhaps you can just request the librarian to send you copies of the relevant chapters.

I really hope now that I passed this subject this year - I hate it when they change syllabuses and text books sad smiley
March 07, 2008 11:40AM
Hi

In the 101 'letter' there is a specific way to get it from the library. Consult it and you should be able to access your extra material. You can also purchase the books.
Anonymous User
March 26, 2008 01:56PM
I also confused as your, but I think going to the library to look for them will help.
May 16, 2008 10:03AM
They were upgrading the system at some time - maybe that is where the problem was?
Anonymous User
May 16, 2008 10:55AM
they are only upgrading the system in june.
June 04, 2008 10:11AM
Hi guys,

I have difficulties accessing Ramakrishnan & Gehrke for Assignment 2 in CPT unisa library. Do we really need the additional material?

Tx,
Mugu
July 18, 2009 09:34AM
i still can't get the document Chapter 27: Information Retrieval and XML data: 926-959
Note this source will be referred to as Ramakrishnan & Gehrke.

The whole question 4 of assignment 3 is based on this. i'm just googling it but cant find the exact info i need.

does anyone had this document by any chance?
July 19, 2009 06:33PM
got the document , missed it last time on oasis, although it was there the whole time.
finally could do question 4 of assignment 3.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login