Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

PC games vs PS2 vs PS3 vs XBox vs Wii

Posted by Reanie 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar PC games vs PS2 vs PS3 vs XBox vs Wii
May 31, 2008 04:45PM
My husband wants to get into more "action" games like racing cars or combat -> non "mouse" click-click games.
I have a standard XP PC, a standard 10 yr old TV with satelite capacity, budget for preverably less than R2k as this might just be a "phase".
My current cheapest option is: a standard game control for R150 - R300, a PC game of racing cars is about R200.
Although the option above is the cheapest, in the long run, which of the console type options would be the most economical "enjoyable"?
PS: I know that we would most probably need to buy a new HD capable flatscreen for the PS3 option -> hubby would luv to use that for an excuse!! smile
avatar Re: PC games vs PS2 vs PS3 vs XBox vs Wii
May 31, 2008 05:32PM
Getting a PS2 for now will fit into your budget. And it really is not all that bad. Also, some PS2 games are not running that well on PS3, so if you get the PS3 later, you can use the PS2 for those. In the end it all depends on what you enjoy playing.

I found the Wii good as a new experience, but after a while it gets irritating.
Re: PC games vs PS2 vs PS3 vs XBox vs Wii
May 31, 2008 05:42PM
I would vote for the PS2 simply because it is the most economical, is sufficient for most "average" people (not the diehard gamers) as far as graphics are concerned, has the most titles available for it and will work and look good with 99% of TVs. Although a terrific console, the Wii is still in its infancy in comparison to the PS2: it is a more expensive console and there are comparably fewer titles available in SA. There are cool addons such as the Wii Fit however these can be pricey (R1000). The Wii is definitely the family console and is probably the most fun and interactive out of all of them (in my opinion). The XBox 360 is also a good option but is also more expensive and caters for the more advanced gamer in providing better graphics. The PS3 is at the top end of the spectrum, costing more than any of the others and also, requiring a HD screen for the best results. An avantage of the PS3 is it's built-in BluRay player however these discs definitely require the HD screen and are substantially more expensive than DVDs, whether purchased or rented (and their availability in SA is limited). The inclusion of the BluRay player is what adds a great deal to the console's cost. Another thing to remember is that while the PS2 can play older PS1 games, not all PS3 consoles can play PS2 games: the latest 40GB model apparently does not have this feature which is one thing they did to reduce the cost to make the console more appealing. Both the Wii and XBox games can also be substantially more expensive than their PS2 counterparts. The flipside of the PS2 is that it is an old console and therefore the newer games may not be coming out for that platform however there is still a huge selection available and the fact that Sony is still selling them like hotcakes, I'm sure there will still be new titles for this console being released for some time to come.
May 31, 2008 10:21PM
Yes, definitely the PS2, it's loads of fun and there are still pretty good games available! There's a shop in Tygervalley called BTGames (if I remember correctly) on the lower level close to Game which sells 2nd hand games at good prices and lots of people are getting rid of their games on gumtree.co.za as well.

I have to add that I am not that impressed with the PS3 at all. Blu-ray's nice but I havent had any more enjoyment from PS3 gameplay than I did with the PS2.

The Wii is TONS of fun if you like action stuff, the graphics arent as bad as I thought and I even enjoy the Wii sports smiling smiley Just be aware that your game selection is very limited and the games are expensive :/
May 31, 2008 11:00PM
believe it or not, but the last time I played any game was when I was grade 2....on my attari smiling smiley
Anonymous User
May 31, 2008 11:15PM
I stopped playing games when my gaming pc was stolen 2 years ago. That and no tv really freed up my time. The last cool game I played (apart from chess winking smiley was Sniper Elite. That game rocked my boat. I pulled an eye muscle and starting creeping up on my colleagues at work. Good thing I don't play it anymore.
I see it's available on xbox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sniper_Elite
June 01, 2008 08:28AM
LOL

That sounds like fun smiling smiley

I used to love the Quest for Glory games, specifically Hero's Quest (the first). I still play it from time to time, even though the graphics belong on my 386 (Turbo!).

I just loved Still-Life (on pc), a murder-mystery with beautiful graphics and atmosphere. It had a terribly abrupt ending though, due to Microids going bankrupt. I was thrilled to read that Microids have been resurrected by its owner company, just to complete a sequel in order to satisfy the fans. WOOOOHOOO!!
June 02, 2008 08:12AM
Thanx for the first 3 replies before the thread got hijacked by riaan and his gang....
Seems like for the current PS2 would be the best option.
June 02, 2008 09:19AM
I am not a hijacker! Maybe just a forumjacker, but not hijacker...
June 02, 2008 10:04AM
I was in the same situation last year - bought a PS2 and happy with the purchase. The PS2 games can be bought for between R100-R200 (excluding latest release).

At work we all got PS2's so its easier to swop games.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Don't Assume Everything is a Nail Just Because You Have a Really Big Hammer
June 02, 2008 01:12PM
Sorry Riaan, then a hijacker of forum threads aka a forumjacker.

So, I guess I'm going to spend Saturday to go and shop for the cheapest PS2 in my local super shopping mall....
June 02, 2008 01:16PM
Anyone seen the movie Prime?

Where she asks her friend...."do you like your sex life?" She answers yes, so she says "The dont buy him PlayStation"

On that note, anyone seen that add where they mention all the stats, and the on is, the chances of dating a supermodel....and this little nerd playing PlayStation, while his hot girlfriend brings him food smiling smiley
June 02, 2008 01:51PM
Well, one of the people above recommending PS2 is divorced, one is definately happily married with children, don't know about the rest.....
June 02, 2008 01:53PM
Perhaps shes into boys that know how to push the buttons on a girls joystick

June 02, 2008 02:00PM
There's a joke about ages... it's something like this.

When you are young, you are 3 months, 6 months, 3 1/2 years, 10 years, .....
As you get older you nearly 40,...., made 60, 80 1/2, 90 and 6 months, .....
June 02, 2008 04:39PM
99 and 7 months and 2 days and 4 hours and 1 minute and 2 seconds....
June 09, 2008 08:28AM
Bought a PS2 this weekend: R1500 with a free game of Tekken 5. Bought OLD Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness & F1 games - just to get the hang of it.
Thanx for everyone's advice.
June 09, 2008 08:45AM
Tekken is cool!
Gran Turismo is very nice too!
June 09, 2008 11:22AM
Cool!!!

Got my wife CSI 3 Dimensions of murder for Christmas. She loves it, and I love it that she no longer wants to play it on my PC smile

I also find my PS2 is the best baby sitter when my nanny brings her son with over school holidays.

June 09, 2008 12:11PM
why do you need a nanny? Does your wife not trust you on your own?
Anonymous User
June 09, 2008 01:09PM
Reanie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Bought a PS2 this weekend: R1500 with a free game
> of Tekken 5. Bought OLD Lara Croft Tomb Raider:
> The Angel of Darkness & F1 games - just to get the
> hang of it.
> Thanx for everyone's advice.

Hey Reanie - The Angel of Darkness was one of the worst Tomb Raider games...I had to turn it off after an hour or so it was so bad!!

Do yourself a favour and look for Tomb Raider: Legend. It was the very next game after the one you bought, but the whole franchise was moved over to Crystal Dynamics to develop. It resulted in a much better game. In my opinion it was one of the best PS2 games I've played. Had to take a few "sick" days when i bought the game hahaha! (God of war 1 and 2 still rate as the best for me, Shadow of The Colossus comes in a close second!)

later,

thornza
June 09, 2008 01:28PM
@thornza, I can't even get out of the first courtyard where she is stuck!!! smile
But, will have a lookout for the next one.
June 09, 2008 01:36PM
Tracey Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> why do you need a nanny? Does your wife not trust
> you on your own?

smile

No, its for my son who is 1. Its cheaper to get a full time nanny by us than to use a creche... I thought private schools where expensive until I saw what a creche costs - upto 4K a month.

June 11, 2008 12:12PM
could have gotten a 2nd hand ps2 with games and controllers for < R600, oh well
June 11, 2008 12:13PM
with regard to ps2 games, get tony hawk's skating game smiling smiley
June 11, 2008 01:27PM
@lycium: your old console??
June 11, 2008 01:31PM
June 11, 2008 01:50PM
Oooooo - thanx for the site. Can get some cheaper games this way.
June 11, 2008 11:25PM
np, there's a jhb one too
June 12, 2008 07:35AM
I'll give the rest a chance to use that one...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login