Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

is there a business analyst in the house?

Posted by ExtraLarge 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar is there a business analyst in the house?
April 01, 2008 12:07PM
what skills, experience, qualification do you need to be a business analyst? is a bcomm Information System enough? is the entry level salary good? im graduating soon and business analysis is something i would like to get into.

xl
Anonymous User
Re: is there a business analyst in the house?
April 01, 2008 12:27PM
ask uncle riaan
avatar Re: is there a business analyst in the house?
April 01, 2008 03:32PM
mmhhh, at last!! A worthy adversary!

Well, a BCom IS is enough, I went further though to do Hons BSc IS. It wont help you do your job better, but it will just open more doors.

Entry level salary would be the same as entry level accountants, programmers etc. It is industry related to professional positions. You can grow quite a bit though, as you usually get involved with business optimisation, strategy etc. You also mingle with the important oaks a bit, which helps with the careers.

In terms of what you need to know, I am quite hectic, and my expectations very high of BA's. I believe you need to know things like design principles, OO, UML, MDA, etc etc so well, you need to be able to teach it. Also, choose one area of business expertise that you want to build a career in. The most important experience is the business experience. I chose the financial industry, and you get known in the market quite quickly if you do things well. You need to be able to teach business concepts to business people. You need to be good at project management and all the underlying theory of it. You also need to have enough knowledge of the different technologies that are used at the company you are employed at, java, swift etc...

In the end you sit in the middle of technical resources and business resources. Be an expert at BA concepts, and business and technical, and you will do well!
April 01, 2008 03:34PM
PS: a programming degree is just as good. The concepts you learn in a BCom is very broad, and programmers usually end up knowing the business better than the business people.....so they tend to make good analysts if they learn to not just jump into the details smiling smiley
April 01, 2008 03:35PM
and most importantly, you need to be an analytical thinker and a problem solver.
April 01, 2008 03:36PM
are you having fun riaan?
April 01, 2008 03:37PM
and another thing, dont be one of those BA's that just runs up and down armed by word and powerpoint jotting down word for word what people say. Ask lots and lots of questions, then think, think again, and then put forward a solution based on a solid understanding...
April 01, 2008 03:39PM
is that a rhetorical question???.....because this is....
Anonymous User
April 01, 2008 03:41PM
...SPAAARTAA ?
April 01, 2008 03:45PM
hehehehe.....
April 01, 2008 04:16PM
Also, a good analyst refuses to have visio installed on his/her PC....a decent modeling tool is a must, such as magic draw.
April 01, 2008 04:17PM
and whatever you do....dont let programmers bully you....they are a useless species and should be ignored at all cost. Someday modeling would be at such a levle of abstraction that programming would fall away completely spinning smiley sticking its tongue out smoking smiley thumbs up smiley
April 01, 2008 04:42PM

so they tend to make good analysts if they learn to not just jump into the details
Translation: they make good analysts if they stop doing anything usefull smiling smiley

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
April 01, 2008 04:45PM
based on malcolms response here....also note that programmers will never like BA's because they are prettier and earn more money. So, expect them to be mean, and lower your expectations of them. Your disappointment is only as big as your expectation...

grinning smiley
Anonymous User
April 01, 2008 04:53PM
I wont involve myself in this war about programmers vs BAs except to say that its not true that BAs make more money. Either then that, you guys can continue the fight.
April 01, 2008 04:54PM
heheheh, but we appear to make more money because we dress well an comb our hair spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
April 01, 2008 04:55PM
Quite honestly though, I love programmers, use to be one. I also love business users, I used to be one. I believe each person in a team has a distinct tole to play, my job is tho get these role players to gel....

Except project managers, I dont like them so much!
April 01, 2008 08:40PM
thanks riaan!
April 02, 2008 07:27AM
pleasure....one thing that I also thought about, if an analyst understands the difference between modeling and documentation, he/she is halfway there! It seems over simplified, but you would be amazed....
Anonymous User
April 02, 2008 08:12AM
rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> based on malcolms response here....also note that
> programmers will never like BA's because they are
> prettier and earn more money. So, expect them to
> be mean, and lower your expectations of them. Your
> disappointment is only as big as your
> expectation...
>
>
> grinning smiley

Okay, I don't earn half as much as you do... but I think generally females are prettier than males, unless you are being gay again....
April 02, 2008 08:17AM
and from the looks of it, BAs absolutely love to brag. XL don't forget to brag alot.

Riaan, you didn't say anything about the ass kissing?
April 02, 2008 08:20AM
oh, no wait..

rklopper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You also mingle with the important oaks a bit, which helps with the careers.
Anonymous User
April 02, 2008 08:27AM
mingle = butt kissing smiling smiley
April 02, 2008 08:46AM
I dont have an issue, as long as it is a woman, and she showered grinning smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login