Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Task 2C-4, Question 2

Posted by adeyp 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Task 2C-4, Question 2
July 28, 2008 07:31PM
3. Locate two or more domain registration services on the Internet.
• http://www.africaregistry.com/?gclid=CNTq0ZeV05QCFR8SQQodTyorlQ
• http://www.webafrica.co.za/Specials/
• www.prohost.co.za

• What is the cost to register a domain name?
Costs differ depending on the domain, whether you are an existing client or they have specials going. These prices are in USA dollars, although they register SA and Africa domains

.com $19
.net $19
.org $19
.info $19
.mobi $29
.co.za $35

• Instra Corporation Pty Ltd will host for $35 per year for a minimum of 2 years
• www.prohost.co.za – will register domain names for free with a R10 per month hosting fee
• Web Africa offers the following:
• Free Domain name – prepay for 3 months and receive a free bundled .co.za, .com and others – as a hosting
• Or pay R60 for the first year for the following domains: .com, co.za, net, org, info or biz domains for only R60 for the first year!

• To whom does the registration fee go?
The fee goes to the domain registrar.
Instra offers an Affiliate program which entitles the affiliate to a commission of up to 15% on sales and income. It’s free to sign up.

• Do any ISP’s provide a free domain name registration service?
There are some service providers who offer a free service, provided you are a monthly or annual subscriber, They will give you up to 2MG free use of space.
Re: Task 4C-1
July 28, 2008 07:35PM
5. Examples of “unwell” web sites

http://www.sara-freder.com/sff/?SOURCE=goog&KEYWORD=horoscope+2008
It opened quickly, but the colours are quite monotonous. Being purple you may wonder what kind of frustration they are implying
There is not much graphics. Very simple tones and questions.
Not attractive and no navigation in this site.

http://users.hunterlink.net.au/~mbbjsj/index.htm
It opened pretty soon, but I was met by the faded colours of the rainbow. I know most sites can only display 256 colours at one time, but simple blue and white may have been a lot better. It reminded me of an advert for a baby shower, that is why it surprised me to see that it was the website of Spiritualist Church.
In addition there are tiny little flying things following your cursor around. Although cute, it could be a bit freaky considering the institution. Maybe it was intentional, but still reminded me of a nursery.
Other comments on the content of the site. They claimed that their aims are to promote the 7 principles of spirituality. I could not see a link to explain what these principles are.
Also the site has not been updated since June – which is probably not bad, except for the fact that their weekly timetable was then outdated as it reads until 6th of July.

http://www.alternativetransportservices.co.uk/
This was by far, possibly the worst. It has a host of bold colours which include green, different shades of yellow, red, orange, pink, blue and white on a black background.
The writing also projects these different colours within the same phrase and sentence. In addition it also ‘boasts’ different fonts and font sizes within the same phrases and sentences.
The repetition of words, phrases and photos is unbelievable. The word darling, which is referring to potential customers, is quite odd and continuous. Example:
“Hello My Lovely Darlings.....
NEED Cheap VaN HiRe or Cheap VaN RENTAL
How about you go for the no self drive option across town?
Yes Darling it is cheaper than self Drive across town...
Forget Self drive My Lovely....
Why not be kept and quoted happy today Darling?”

It reminds me of a pawn shop where everything goes.
There is no class to this web site and I would say that one would have to be quite desperate to make use of their services. The web site certainly does not project a professional image.
The content is not structured. You will have to read through the entire – very looonngg – site, from top to bottom to get a basic idea of what they offer. There is no navigation. The site just runs from top to bottom. It is not an easy read.
As mentioned before, the use of different fonts within the same phrase or paragraph in addition to the use of so many different colours is just not appealing.

Suggestions for improvement:
• First of all, decide what you are – a driving company, a moving company, or a company offering accommodation, and what you offer. Prioritise services and functions.
• Structure according to headings, for example: Services, Cost, About us, Other services, Contact us, etc.
• Reduce the use of colour. Choose 2 / 3 professional colours. Limit use of too many fonts and colours while writing and also use same size throughout the site, except for headings.
• Have either a variety of photos or use the ones you have, strategically and only once. Do NOT REPEAT SAME PHOTOS
• AND scrap the use of darling
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login