Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Free Delphi software download

Posted by Mike1 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Free Delphi software download
January 17, 2008 05:59PM
I downloaded a free version of Delphi from the following site:

http://cc.codegear.com/Free/turbodelphiwin

It's called "Turbo Delphi Explorer", English version.

So far it works fine. I've only finished chapter two of the prescribed book, but so far I could do everything required with this version of the software.

Hope this helps someone, who like me, doesn't really have the extra R600 to fork out for the software from Unisa.
Re: Free Delphi software download
January 18, 2008 02:48PM
Thx, is it legal though?
January 19, 2008 12:59PM
Oops my bad, checked out the site last night. works fine. thx
January 19, 2008 02:18PM
I don't think that Turbo Delphi Explorer supports "Rave Reports" (which is required in the 501 tutorial letter).

And yes sandmanr35, it is legal.
February 20, 2008 08:21AM
Could a person not just use the turbo delphi and when you get to the "Rave Reports" part use CodeGear RAD Studio, which includes delphi 2007, on its 30 day trail period?

I also dislike the idea of paying R600 for delphi if im not going to be using it after COS114X
February 20, 2008 08:50AM
pirates ahoy!
avatar Re: Free Delphi software download
February 20, 2008 03:42PM
Hallo nicki

Why do you say your not going to use Delphi after COS114X?
February 20, 2008 04:13PM
why would I?
Im doing c++ as well.

Im working in a web enviroment so I use javascript, html etc
I have never used delphi and im not interested in working with it
have to take it for the course though
would have loved it if we could use java/c# or something more in demand
February 20, 2008 05:20PM
as for "pirates ahoy!"?

does this mean contact me?
Or look out someone who wants to pirate?

first off i dont pirate stuff.
turbo delphi is FREE: http://cc.codegear.com/free/delphi
and CodeGear RAD Studio 2007 has a free trail
so how is this pirating?
February 20, 2008 08:07PM
I would rather do C#, VB.NET, the .NET 3.5 framework.
What is the main reason for doing Delpi?
If it is for OOP (object orientated programming), then we could just aswell be doing .NET 2.0, even beter, .NET 3.5...
which do support OOP aswell.
February 20, 2008 11:10PM
Turbo Delphi is free but comes with a fixed component pallete and doesn't allow installation of additional third-party ones but it suffices for the course, save for the reporting.

The relevance of Delphi for learning oop as opposed to recent frameworks is doubtful. I have had to *enjoy* Delphi though because I have been supporting a human resources package first developed in Delphi 2 in 1996 and the clients won't let it be ported to anything else.sad smiley
February 21, 2008 08:20AM
nicki, um, just take my comment in which ever way would make you happy.

My response for your comment on java/c# being better than delphi: do some programming before bashing the language. People look like idiots when they don't know what they are talking about.
February 21, 2008 02:33PM
Heh?
Im not bashing anything.
Im just saying i would prefer not to buy the delphi.
By the way can you develop commercially with it?

What i meant was that im working in JavaScript,HTML,XML, Cache object script, cache basic.
Im studying delphi and c++.

And this morning i applied for a java position where they want me to give them an example in jbos+seam using eclipse on MySQL, and this before monday.
I last studied java in 2003 and have not been using it since.

I just dont see myself developing in delphi.
The way forward as i see it is a language that allows you to have some web interaction, aka the .net enviroment or java etc.
At least learning those gives you the "32bit windows" and web advantage.
can delphi do this?

Log on to something like careerjunction.co.za and see the amount of work available for .net and java as opposed to delphi

whith these old languages you literally need to be 20 years old but with 40 years experience(im being ridiculous i now, so i suppose each to his own)

I have a brother wo studied bsc at PUKKE and they were doing c#
February 21, 2008 03:04PM
nicki Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> At least learning those gives you the "32bit
> windows" and web advantage.
> can delphi do this?

well, maybe if you've opened your text book, you wouldn't need to ask such a question. You claim c# to be the best language to study based on job availability from 1 site? Meanwhile you don't even have a clue as to what delphi CAN do. My advice to you is to remove this mental block you have about the lanuage, and embrace it with a bit more enthusiasm, or else you are going to have a very hard time getting through this module.
February 21, 2008 03:09PM
btw, delphi is no where near old or obsolete.

Also, I just did a quick search for delphi jobs and found this:

Pretoria based financial giant seeks a Delphi Programmer to maintain and enhance existing programs and current systems.

B Com (Informatics) or BSc (Computer Science) with at least 2 (two) years Delphi programming experience. Delphi 5 and Delphi 6. Analysis and design experience
With insurance background an advantage. Microsoft, COM, Delphi, Database, SQL or Object orientation.

AN AWESOME opportunity to move aggressively into the Dot Net, C#. Asp.Net space in time. Perm position offering R20k to R25k per month guaranteed.

not bad if you ask me.
February 21, 2008 04:52PM
He he he
this is getting waay out of conytrol and you are misreading my comments.
I have nothing against delphi, and im not particularly for c# either.
I just wondering why delphi.

And yes i do admit i have not read much about it, i was not being sarcastic when asking if delphi could do web stuff, i really wanted to know.
and yes i would love to be paid 20-25k pm!

and the mention of careerjunction was just an example.

by the way as another example of careerjunction:
search for delphi in information technology and i get 80 Jobs
search for c# in information technology and i get 550 Jobs
search for java in information technology and i get 506 Jobs
search for c++ in information technology and i get 156 Jobs
even if these are very rough estimates and just from one site they do seem to make a point.

but you make a point and i shall bow out of the fight with humillity and respect
gritting on my teeth trying to stop laughing as i consider asking your age since you are:
Towards Greatest Great Grand Master Contributor

but only because i feel humourous
so p.s
if you are a prof please dont fail me,i dont get out much!!
and my best whishes for all cos114x students!!
February 22, 2008 08:53AM
lol, i'm no where near a prof. I just waste alot of time on this forum giving people grief. And i'm quite against anything that requires the .net framework. I do believe that the lecturers who set up this degree chose C++, Delphi because it is technologies with much more research and learning potential. Whereas c#, java are more for creating commercial applications, hence so many companies use it to provide a front end for their business.
avatar Re: Free Delphi software download
February 26, 2008 07:58AM
Delphi
- it is easier, faster to churn out RAD applications
- plugging in tested, documented components is very easy
- less debugging & documentation than I do in Java/C++
- WIN32 (zippy) binaries, as opposed to .Net & Java
- Delphi pascal b'cos there are fewer language obscurities
- it is a hybrid, evolving to compete with the current de factos
- great when you are sole developer in the company
- a solid first language, allowing you to create comple windows apps , or stay simple without being exposed to a lot of additional code that you can't fathom, because you are a novice
- etc
February 26, 2008 07:19PM
Valid points, visnaicker.
There must be hundreds of thousands of developers who cut their teeth on Turbo Pascal from its early incarnations, through its transitions and followed the Delphi chain up to today. What bothers me is some apparent unsureness on the part of its makers as to the direction in which they want to take the product. The corporate "doubt" [Borland->Inprise->Borland->Devco] has taken some of the shine off Delphi and the re-introduction of Turbo in the name is probably meant to capture the glory of headier times.
March 07, 2008 08:55PM
If I’m not mistaken, the guy who invented Pascal/Delphi also invented C#
March 07, 2008 09:40PM
Seems to be so indeed, typical microsoft if you can't beat them, buy them out. lol
March 07, 2008 09:41PM
Anders Hejlsberg, the dude's name if anyone is to lazy to google...
April 03, 2008 07:52AM
Did the download, but I have not managed to download the samples tab as required for chapter 4 in the prescribed textbook. Any hints on this one?
June 22, 2008 04:46PM
I can't appear to find the MySql Control Center? Its not on my program disk, and not on the website. Hundreds of ilnternet sites refer to it, but to download it goes to the developers website, where it isn't mentioned. Obviously they have got rid of it.

I already work with MySql, do you think it matters that I create my databases another way?
June 22, 2008 10:27PM
Most likely not. Just a nice tool for windows users.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login