Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2 Question 4 and 5

Posted by Liza 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2 Question 4 and 5
May 11, 2006 08:33AM
Hi.

I have been struggling with questions 4 and 5 for about a month now, and still I just can't do them.

For Question 4 I know I'm supposed to build an FA for the regular expression (a+b)*a(a+b), but I don't even know where to start.

Can anyone help?
Liza
avatar Re: Assignment 2 Question 4 and 5
May 11, 2006 09:58AM
This regular expression defines the language of all words that contains one 'a' at least if not more.

So you have a start state which accepts either an 'a' or a 'b'.You represent this by drawing a circle with a negative sign inside of it.The
' * ' indicates a closure ( combination of a's and b's ).This you should indicate by drawing an arrow which starts at the circle you have just drawn ( start state ) and which returns to the same state (ie. the same circle with the negative sign in it ).Thereafter the FA accepts the letter 'a'.This you should indicate by drawing an arrow away from the start state ( the circle containing the negative sign ) and then directing it towards another circle ( no sign inside of it ! ). Indicate the letter 'a' on this arrow.
Thereafter the FA accepts either the letter 'a' or the letter 'b'.This is indicated by drawing another arrow away from the previous one directing it towards another circle ( this circle must have a PLUS (+) sign inside of it.Indicate 'a,b' on this arrow .... VOILA !

I sure hope this makes sense and i hope my understanding of it is correct !

If there's anyone that disagrees then you're welcome to give your input.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login