Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uncertainty about assignment deadlines

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Uncertainty about assignment deadlines
March 24, 2006 09:16AM
Hi, I don't know whether this has been addressed in another forum (couldn't find anything).

I'm really confused about the assignment submission deadlines.

In the tutorial letter it gives the due date for each of the four assignments. However, on the front page of the tut letter it states:

"To be considered for examination admission in COS201-V, a student must meet BOTH of the following requirements:
1. Submit assignment 1 ON or BEFORE 15 May 2006.
AND
2. Obtain at LEAST 100 examination admission credits by submitting the appropriate number of assignments by not later than 14 July 2006."

Does this mean that we do not have to stick to the 31 March deadline for assignment 1, as long as it's submitted by 15 May? And that we don't need to stick to the deadlines for assignments 2 to 4, as long as they're in by 14 July?

Could someone please clarify as this is really confusing (or maybe I'm just reading it wrong!)

Thanks in advance.
Re: Uncertainty about assignment deadlines
March 24, 2006 12:23PM
The last assignment is due by 14 July so the second point on the cover of TL101 is valid (i.e. your four assignments must total 100 credits).

I think the first point refers to the fact that the department of education requires one assignment be submitted by a certain date to verify the student as active. I think they probably got the dates wrong and the 31 March deadline is the correct one because if you went according to the cover, assignment 1 would be due AFTER assignment 2 which doesn't make sense. Assignment 2 is due 12 May.
avatar Re: Uncertainty about assignment deadlines
March 24, 2006 02:48PM
I think you're making it more complicated than it really is. The department of education requires proof that each student is actually doing some work. That's why they set up the regulations.

This does not mean that the assignment dates in the tut letter are wrong. It just means that in order to meet the regulations, you must submit one assignment before 15th May. This assignment could be any one of the 4 that have been set by the department. Just remember that assignments submitted before the due date will probably not be marked ahead of time.

Practically though, this means that if you miss the deadline for assignment 1, then you HAVE TO submit assignment 2 or you won't be able to write the exams.

The second regulation requires that you have to have accumulated 100 credits in order to write the exam. The department has added to that by saying that we have to have earned the required credits before 14 July. What this means is that we must submit AT LEAST 3 assignments in total since maximum credits awarded are 40 per assignment.

Since this is cutting it a bit close, it would be stupid to miss handing in an assignment. Also remember that there are only 3 values of credits that are awarded: 0 for not submitting, 20 for inadequate work and 40 for adequate work. If you hand in 3 inadequate assignments, you won't be allowed to write the exams (3 x 20 = 60 credits).

To sum it all up, hand in all of your assignments and stick to the dates on page 9 of tut101 and you'll be fine - you won't have to worry about the DET regulations.

Cheers
Rob
Re: Uncertainty about assignment deadlines
March 27, 2006 10:05AM
Please note that assignment 1 is compulsory. The due date for each assignment in tutorial letter 101 is correct, i.e. assignment 1 is still due on 31 March. Assignment 1 is the only assignment with the due date before the date set by the Department of Education. Therefore, it is a compulsory assignment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login