Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Installation of software

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Installation of software
July 09, 2007 11:15AM
Please take note that when you install XAMPP (or any of the other software on the CD), you do not need to follow the instructions as per the manual, or the prescribed book, for that matter, since the software installs PHP, Apache and MySQl automatically with minimum configuration required on your part. The manual's chapter on installation is for background, should you wish to install these components separately - which you don't want to do if you have an installer which does all three for you!

It sometimes is not as simple as it sounds sad smiley Please read previous forums for guidance - it depends very much on your PC-setup.
Re: Installation of software
July 10, 2007 12:54PM
You're right, it's not as simple as it sounds. I had to install XAMPP several times before apache worked properly. I didn't follow the instructions from the manual or the prescribed book but the book was helpful to try and figure out what the problem was. Apache was set-up to use the same port as my anti-virus software.

My installation for XAMPP now works 100%
July 16, 2007 11:16PM
Installed XAMPP and everything is working 100%. Tested the installation using simple echo "Hello PHPWorld"; php file which I saved as hello.php on
C:\Program Files\xampp\htdocs folder. It worked fine but when I save a file in a different folder I get errors when I enter http: //localhost/hello.php.

Question - Does this mean that we have to save all our work in the htdocs folder?
July 17, 2007 08:26AM
Yes - Apache is set-up to look in the htdocs folder when you enter [localhost] in your browser.

You can read more about this in the prescribed book Chapter 1 under the Apache installation.spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
Mac
July 18, 2007 08:28AM
You can create as many folders as you like under htdocs, e.g. you create a file called this.php in a folder myfiles under htdocs. You would then call this file as follows:

http: //localhost/myfiles/this.php

If you saved this file under htdocs, it would be

http: //localhost/this.php

I would suggest you make use of folders, otherwise its gets messy.
September 07, 2007 11:13AM
Hi Mac,

where on the web can I find the PHP Developer that is on the cd? I've misplaced the cd between home and office and for the life of me can't find it.

Thanks.
Mac
September 12, 2007 07:21AM
www.waterproof.fr
September 12, 2007 08:07AM
Thanks. I forgot about my post here. I managed, in the meantime, to get the developer from the official site.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login