Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

my cool plan for 2008

Posted by ilanpillemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
January 04, 2008 11:07AM
First :- I create an account with www.bluehost.com or some other host (but theyre cheap) and get some server space.

Second :- I install this on every computer I may use. (Windows/linux/whatever)
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/684

Third :- I also have a subdirectory with key installations/binaries for emergencies (eg gcc).

Fourth :- I create a root 2008 folder with subdirectory UNISA and a subdirectory for each course.

Fifth :- Obviously I create folders for any personal project I am playing with.

Fifth :- this becomes both my backup and main data store.

Sixth :- whenever I work on a course on some computer I synch the data before I start and before I shutdown between this server and whatever computer I am using.

Woohoooo. I can work anywhere in the world with any computer in the world anytime. If my wife is using the laptop I can use the desktop. If my wife is using the desktop I can use the laptop. If Im at my folks or visiting friends somewhere (anywhere) in the world I can sit at their computer and work on something.

How about that for a cool plan!
Re: my cool plan for 2008
January 04, 2008 11:16AM
my family and friends call me rude when I visit and then whip out my laptop and "work". Sometimes it's better to be forced off line for a while.
avatar Re: my cool plan for 2008
January 04, 2008 11:23AM
my family and friends already know I am rude, so that's not an issue.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
January 04, 2008 11:57AM
Hehe, good plan Ilan. Very thorough and well thought. I prefer not to work from anywhere in the world though - unless its at home smile
January 04, 2008 12:03PM
this is ilan

Anonymous User
January 04, 2008 02:48PM
How about using the gspace firefox addon which allows ftp-like access to a gmail account. Then you have around 5Gb of online storage for free smiling smiley
January 04, 2008 02:55PM
Hmmm...

from the Gspace FAQ

5. My Gmail account was locked for 24 hours. What should I do?

A. Wait for 24 hours smiling smiley . This happens if large amounts of data is uploaded or downloaded in a single day. So, try to avoid that. If you are lucky, sometimes even though the account is locked, you can try logging again. It might work. (It worked for me sometimes, I don't know the reason).

7. My files are not shown after uploading "some" files. Some files are shown but not all. (or) I cannot upload anymore files after uploading "some" files. What's the reason?

A. The "some" in the question should be "many". ie. It happens if you upload many files in a single day. There is a limit on the number of files (emails) sent in a day (set by gmail). I am not sure of the exact number but it is somewhere between 500 and 750 emails.

CAUTION: The extension does not detect this (I will try to overcome this). Files are uploaded normally with status 100% complete, but the files are not shown. If you directly login using the actual gmail web interface and try to send an email, a dialog box appears saying "Your sending limit is reached".

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
January 04, 2008 02:56PM
I know that google doesn't have a problem with data transfers of up to 20Mb.
January 04, 2008 03:02PM
It does look pretty nifty but Im happy without funny limits.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login