Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hons projects - Osprey -> myUnisa

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Hons projects - Osprey -> myUnisa
July 30, 2007 07:06PM
As you know, Osprey is a work in progress but we are limited (I can think of a better word to use here) by what we are allowed to do, especially when it comes to drawing information from other Unisa servers, like the library, finance, assignments etc.

I want to bounce an idea of you, something I have been discussing with management lately. Nothing stops us from converting to the myUnisa model (except my intense dislike of Java for web-based applications, but I'm willing to regress in order to progress!). Develop new modules to our requirements and liking - what we want, how we want it. The forces are happy with that, and why not? We have the affinity and skills to take it much further, partly due to the fact that we and you are the SOC, after all.

Would there be any interest under hons students to become involved in this endeavour as part of your projects? Forget the details for now of how it will be managed. Point is, it is practical experience you will get nowhere else (10 000's of users - time to be on the receiving end smiling smiley It's all Java though (although other languages may come into play). But you will receive all the support you required.

We can develop whatever facility we want. It is first tested with SOC students, and if successful, ported to the rest.

Some feedback would be appreciated....
Anonymous User
Re: Hons projects - Osprey -> myUnisa
July 31, 2007 12:23AM
Woo hoo. An opportunity to write meaningful things in Java! I'm not postgrad, but I want in! I'll be good! Promise..
July 31, 2007 07:16AM
Sounds like a gret idea. Hopefully this won't be limited to only post grads.
Even it is alteast visible to the under grads, it would be great to track this project's progress.
This will be an interesting one to manage - I'd be a little weary of guys promising to behave themselves though. smile
avatar Re: Hons projects - Osprey -> myUnisa
July 31, 2007 07:56AM
Hi Ppl;

I would be happy to take part in something like this, esp for part of a hons. project.

I'm hoping it would be like a residential university "lab type" enviroment where students r working together on similar problems etc... that would be very cool.
Anonymous User
July 31, 2007 09:50AM
Hi

I already have an honours project but since I moved into my new Sh!tty job I have absolutely no dev work to do unless I go scrounging around for it. I was working on java web applications using WSAD for over a year and a half so I would be really happy to help smiling smiley If begging to help will work, I will do that too... my brain is currently dissolving through lack of use smiling smiley
Anonymous User
July 31, 2007 10:37AM
This is a good idea, but I think that 3rd year students should be allowed to participate as well cause they should already have well-developed programming skills at this level (whether or not this is the case is a seperate issue) and this could be a chance to get practical skills before getting their degrees. My thoughts at the moment is that the "Advanced Programming" module aims to provide students with exposure to contemporary programming issues and hence is a perfect candidate for those wanting to get involved. This module can be run like how the "Database Design" module was run before where students either could do the normal assignments or if they are confident can do one comprehensive assignment. I think that a specific module of the Osprey system can be implemented by undergrad students as their comprehesive assignment if they choose not to do the normal assignments. The only problem I can see with this though is that it might conflict with the current subject matter taught in this module (C++ design patterns and QT) but I'm sure that something can be worked out. Thats my view anyway smile
July 31, 2007 11:11AM
Its a great proposal and even allow us undergrads to maybe track progress and for those who are really good (unfortunately i'm not) to help design and code. This would be perfect to gain and test your skills smile
July 31, 2007 11:19AM
I would also help / like to help. Just give us the details Mac (when you have it).
Mac
July 31, 2007 07:43PM
Great feedback so far - thanks! The idea is to start next year (I'm trying to finish the P Eish D this year) - would that exclude some of you??? If so, inform me and I'll make sure you repeat next year smiling smiley

Perhaps we can extend it to 3rd year - I'll have to bounce this of the lecturers.

It's a huge leap. There is MUCH to figure out. But your enthusiasm motivates me to take this further. Keep on posting, especially your concerns and solutions (we all stand to learn). Imagine you are the project manager...
August 01, 2007 09:09AM
I definitely will want to be involved. I will probably be doing honours next year - but am under pressure to consider an MBA.

My new career is Java programming in web portals; so a project in that arena would be 100% in line with my career! (Actually it may then make very good sense to postpone the MBA and do the honours now.)

So Mac, if you can keep me informed on how real this Honours project would be; please do - as it may actually convince me to start Honours next year!

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
August 01, 2007 07:10PM
Good luck with the "P Eish D" tongue sticking out smiley

I hope the lecturers agree to allowing at least the final year undergrads to participate.
Plus by next year I think I'll be much better at programming (I hope!) smile
Mac
August 02, 2007 08:07AM
I'll keep you updated here....
August 02, 2007 12:55PM
Hey dont knock the new java, also known as AJAX platform
Some awesome dev work is happening with it, eg GMAIL uses it extensively and has sped up access
think no more full page refresh, cause call functions preload, or load only small sections with main framework contionuously in view

The new myUnisa is pretty cool

Think the preloading slickness of Flash, but with the solid functionality in the backend

if you need a project manager and analyst ? smile holla ...
Mac
August 02, 2007 07:03PM
Kliktrack - not knocking java - I guess it is a personal preference.... but then again, AJAX and PHP works equally well. Its about seconds. ADSL and MyUnisa is different to dial-up and myUnisa. This is where PHP has the advantage (I feel). Of course, porting data from legacy servers into a myUnisa app (which Osprey does not contend with since we are not allowed access sad smiley will slow things down, regardless the main language used. But I think Java is top-heavy with its over-the-top-at-all-cost OO approach. And why did OO came about? Re-usability? Huh? And yes, we hate flash (- pretty to look at but useless in an information age.

I'm a little bit scared about how we are going to manage this thing..... but equally getting more and more excited.

ilanpillemer, I'm tempted to lose you to a MBA. An engineering friend of mine (7 years my junior) earns close to a million a year (x times my salary) and not negating his skills, but his MBA did the trick. But I'll tell you this (and I have been involved at tertiary level for close to 15 years so it comes from the heart) - do the hons, then the MBA. Don't rush things. Both ways you end up with an MBA, but hons just awakens the mind required to earn a "useful" MBA. We all know it is not about the certificate. And in any event, I'd hate to lose you since you've demonstrated the need for collaboration in an earlier thread!
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 08:35AM
I really hope I am not busy with honours still next year - want to move on to an M - but don't know if they will accept me with my lousy results sad smiley but keep us updated smiling smiley
August 03, 2007 09:41AM
celene, I think if you stick with Unisa, they will definitely consider you....especially as they have the concepts of streams, and know you have been "groomed" for a certain direction. And at tukkies, when I was still waiting for my unisa results, the professor told me I should not be too concerned....he actually already decided to have me as a M student after a conference when I was still doing my honours. All I am trying to say is, universities want you to do an M, and acceptance is in a way subjective. That was my experience in anyway...
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 11:12AM
smiling smiley

I think I will do a thesis/dissertation on ... "Does '10' mean 10, 2 or 1" grinning smiley
August 03, 2007 11:16AM
Skerp Celene!! smile
August 03, 2007 11:22AM
or 3 smiling smiley

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 11:26AM
I will leave the 3 part for my PhD though... smiling smiley
August 03, 2007 11:31AM
hahaha, a logical progression. You should save "osprey" for empirical evidence....
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 11:59AM
btw, AJAX != Java, its JavaScript which means you can use AJAX techniques even in PHP.

Oops, I shouldnt have said that, it might lead to another war on technicalities
eye popping smiley spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 03, 2007 12:03PM
yip....I will start the war smiling smiley

BINI.....I AM GONNA KILL YOU!!!!! hot smileyangry smileyhot smiley

Anyways, not sure why but it seems to be the theme this week tongue sticking out smiley
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 12:08PM
* waves the white flag * smile
Anonymous User
August 03, 2007 12:23PM
I though Ajax was a dish washing soap winking smiley
August 03, 2007 12:30PM

Oops, I shouldnt have said that, it might lead to another war on technicalities
Hmm, war on technicalities... has a nice ring to it, you should sell the idea to the americans, it would go nicely with there war on drugs, piracy, terror, intelligence and freedom of speech tongue sticking out smiley

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
August 03, 2007 12:48PM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I though Ajax was a dish washing soap winking smiley

Celene, your sense of humor this week is excellent!!
August 03, 2007 12:53PM
Reanie Wrote:
> celene Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I though Ajax was a dish washing soap winking smiley
>
> Celene, your sense of humor this week is
> excellent!!

As opposed to other days?
August 03, 2007 01:04PM
That's not what I meant - she just manages to say absolutely the right thing at the right time.
Although, she's been given more "material" to evaluate these past few days. eye rolling smiley
August 03, 2007 01:06PM
Reanie Wrote:
> That's not what I meant - she just manages to say
> absolutely the right thing at the right time.

As opposed to other days?

hehehe, Reanie, I am just messing with you! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Its friday!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login