Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Message for Toby

Posted by Nici 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Message for Toby
September 27, 2007 09:39AM
Hey Toby
Decided to start from scratch rather than committing to framesets, so all is fine, don't worry about looking for it on the ftp, I will upload my new assignment today sometime.

Also my ISP has no URL, this being the proverbial sticks and them being quite new, does that matter?
Thanks
Nici
TvD
Re: Message for Toby
September 28, 2007 08:35AM
hi
ok that is good - I will look for a good description of why frames are bad and post it here
ISP URL - yes that is fine
TvD
Java and the Unisa Server
September 28, 2007 10:36AM
Toby
re: the assignment 2 scrolling message

I see that the scrolling message in the status bar doesn't work when you view the site on the server (using Internet Explorer to log on to the ftp site), so I checked the other students assignments and theirs doesn't either, even though (for most) the code is correct. So what I want to know is, do you copy the assignment files onto a computer to view them (in which case the code will work) or do you view them on the server, (in which case the code doesn't seem to work) If you get what I mean. If so, what to do?
I liked to get the marks for a fully operational website, after the JavaScript monster sleighing mission that it took to get it right!
TvD
September 29, 2007 06:54AM
no we look at it live - on the server
have you tried the code here?
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?10,41216
September 29, 2007 09:40AM
ok, so specifically the problem seems to be that the message is not working in Mozilla which happens to be my default browser although I prefer to do my assignments in IE therefore, didn't notice the problem before viewing the site on your server, this would be why all the other students assignments are not working either.
why is there no standard across the browsers! Its so frustrating!!
I will try all the options you are pointing to, thanks.
September 29, 2007 09:59AM
Toby
I have tried 4 different methods now and not one works in Firefox although they all work in IE. I'm stumped, any advice?
September 29, 2007 10:36AM
Toby
Questions!!!!!

when i view my site from my computer, using IE, I have to allow blocked content before any of the Java Script content will work at all. I have grown accustomed to this and don't even think about it anymore. This is a problem with some of the Masterskill exercises as well, some just don't work in Mozilla which is why I just stuck to doing this course in IE and kind of forgot to check stuff in Mozilla!

However when I view the site on your server using the IE browser, I don't have the option to allow blocked content at all. Is it not possible that the security settings at Unisa specifically do not allow this this script to run? Same with Mozilla, there is no security warning about blocked content, allowing you to choose to allow pop ups and the like when the page loads.

Also, even though I am viewing your server using IE, the icons on my files are Mozilla, not the e of IE, why is that? does that not mean that my files are being opened with Mozilla regardless of the fact that I am using the IE browser? are my default settings regarding browsers transfered to your server when I upload files?

So taking all this in to consideration, doesn't it mean that there may be nothing wrong with the code but there is an instruction missing, specifically for Mozilla telling that browser what to do with the script? If you get what what I mean, some sort of If or If else portion,

How would I find out?

And lastly, what do you see when you open these assignments? are the scrolling messages working or not?
TvD
September 30, 2007 08:02AM
Nicci your scrolling message works on the osprey server when viewed using IE7 - you have to put its security settings to medium and not medium high
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/toby/holgate/Assignment%202/assigment2.html

It also works in Firefox provided you go to the settings and for Javascript advanced check the box that says allow "change status bar text"

Icons is because Mozilla is your default browser

TvD
September 30, 2007 06:49PM
Aha, thank you!
I thought I was not getting it!

its always something small....
have a good week
Nici
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login