Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Urgent help needed with databases!

Posted by Mel 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mel
Urgent help needed with databases!
July 27, 2006 03:36PM
Hey everyone,

Unfortunately I have totally allowed this subject to run away with me after enjoying it and doing quite well for most of the year...

I'm not really getting the whole database thing....

After eventually getting my server up and running, I'm following the instructions in the book to the letter, but when I try to set the TDataDet (I think that's the component!) property Active to True, I'm told the sequence is incorrect.

If anyone could help me I would really appreciate it! I've tried emailing the lecturers, but they don't seem to reply anymore!

Thanks guys!

Melanie
melanie@provalue.co.za
083 748 2199
Re: Urgent help needed with databases!
July 27, 2006 04:06PM
Hi Melanie

I had the same problem. What I did was set the command type as CTQUERY and not CTTABLE. When you set is as ctquery a window will open which expects a SQL query. I typed SELECT * FROM LIBRARYMEMBER (this brings up all the fields in the table). I could then set the Active property to TRUE.

Only problem I have now is my databse isn't getting updated. I typed the OnClose procedure as is but it doesn't update the table. Anyone know why?
July 27, 2006 09:22PM
Melanie,
directly underneath the active property is a getdmetadata property...set that to false and it should work
Mel
July 28, 2006 08:28AM
Thanks guys, I'm going to try these out and see what happens! Hold thumbs for me! smile
Mel
July 31, 2006 12:30PM
Thanks Simone,

Your tip worked perfectly! However I am now also having the problem that when I type the OnClose procedure the database doen't update.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Mel
July 31, 2006 02:00PM
Hi Mel / Simone

Please explain to me how you guys got your local server up and running. I just can not connect to my databases through TSQLConnection.
Mel
July 31, 2006 03:09PM
Whereabouts are you having the problem? Have you created the server and tables? Are you having the problem in the mySQL Control Centre or in Delphi itself?
July 31, 2006 03:42PM
Okay if you refer to server do you mean have created I the directory C:\GolfAcademy\Data\Round, for this the answer is yes. My problem lies with the setting up or linking in the mySQL Control Centre. Thank yo ufor your help.
August 01, 2006 07:32PM
I gave up after a never-ending battle to get MySQL to work.

I eventually used SQL2005 Developer's edition.
and before anyone mentions the price, SQL Server 2005 Express is free of charge and can be bownloaded from Microsof's site (OK, it is quite large (approx 54 Mcool smiley and will take a fair amount of time to download, but it works a heck of a lot better than the MySQL supplied to us.

to obtain it, use the following link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=220549b5-0b07-4448-8848-dcc397514b41&DisplayLang=en
August 02, 2006 09:14AM
Lets recap, according to assignment 3.

See if you guys agree with me:

1) We want to create a new table
2) Listing all the differetials for a selected golfer
3) In order to do this we want to basically create a new database
4) This database will act as our datasourse that we will call upon when calculating the handicap
5) We can assign records to our database during run time
6) This can be done by setting CommandType and/or CommandText of your new database by entering an SQL query
7) But all this can only be done if you can connect to your datasourse which in this instance is Golfer Round table.
8) After establishing the connection the SQL query retreives the differentials from the Round table
9) Then the list of differentials are placed as a single fieldlist in our new database call GolferRoundDifferential.
10)Now please can someone please tell me how do I retrieve these differentials and plase it in a listbox.

O ja before the query clear your database fields, DataFields.Clear;

Can anyone please help me with point number 10?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login