Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 2

Posted by mishhhka 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 2
May 28, 2007 08:59PM
What tool can I use to draw the an Activity-on-Arrow diagram?
I do not have MS Project on my PC. I do have Visio though, but I can't find a shape for the round event with the 4 quadrants to use for the Events in the diagram e.g. like the ones used on the textbook on page 143

Thanks
Michelle
Re: Assignment 2
May 29, 2007 01:33PM
I don't think you need to use the quadrants for question 1.1 because the purpose of the diagram is just to show the interaction between the various activities. I could be wrong though...
May 29, 2007 10:13PM
Do the lecturers read this forum? If so, please could you help by providing some claririty on this one
i.e. exactly how much detail is required in the Activity-on-Arrow (CPM) network diagram for Q1.1 in Ass. 2
At the moment I am struggling to make these shapes using MS Word, which is extremely time-consuming.

Thanks
Michelle
May 29, 2007 10:18PM
Visio is a much better application for creating diagrams than Word. If you start a new document using flowchart layout, you'll see circular icons you can use for each event. You can create the quadrants by applying the line tool to each circle. Hope that helps...

As I said I haven't filled in the detail but I might do so, just in case.
May 29, 2007 10:20PM
Hi

I have used Powerpoint and then pasted that into word! looks great!
lemme know if you want an example mishhhka.

It will get the job done very neatly smiling smiley

Bye
May 30, 2007 08:42PM
Word does have the cicle with the four quadrants, just difficult to get the text into it.
What I've been doing is printing the circles and doing the rest by hand, will be scanning the final diagram and then just pasting it in the final document smiling smiley

Kinda enjoying this assignemnt!
May 31, 2007 11:16AM
eye popping smiley

Goodness! What a work-around...
May 31, 2007 12:01PM
Hello.

After using MS Visio 2007 beta that expired, now using Dia, and I'm thinking its less hassle than all that, its free at Dia Installer (23mb).

I know everyone got their own method, but I find this way quite simple and effective. Once created the diagram, A circle and 2 lines, group the object, so its a single unit. Layer the text over the needed triangle spot and line etc. I export it to jpeg and copy that onto my word/writer doc.

I'm also enjoying this assignment, its not so bad when you sort of know whats going on, lol.

Hope this helps too.smile
May 31, 2007 01:41PM
Uh, my bad; actually in Dia, under the Flowchart symbols there is an summing junction object that can used for events, rather. confused smiley

Man alive, still had to construct a predence node, as I could not find in the list to do predence network (activity on node).

Is there predence nodes in Visio?
May 31, 2007 06:48PM
Yes there is a precedence network node in Visio, but is is not exactly the same as the one in out textbook (has fewer segments & in different places). I phoned the lecturer & she said we must just construct our own node using PowerPoint, Word, Visio or whatever we want. I used Visio, selected a rectangle, then inserted other rectangles within the large rectangle & sized them to fit in the places where each box goes. Then all you do is click on each small square in the rectangle & you can enter your text! Remember to group all the boxes first before you copy it as a unit.

Good luck!

PS - for Q3 I am totally unsure of how much detail to go into.....9 marks, but the Q says "briefly discuss..."
May 31, 2007 07:05PM
I really liked Visio 2007, but alas it has expired and I'm not willing to spend for new shrinkware. Maybe one day I'll borrow a copy from someone.

Enough for 9 marks I'm thinking, maybe 6 points, a formula and couple diagrams.
I guess I'll find out in the pink results tut. smile
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login