Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Anyone studying Computational Intelligence (AI) ?

Posted by 33957800 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anyone studying Computational Intelligence (AI) ?
February 24, 2006 12:39PM
Anyone else studying BSc (Computational Intelligence) ?
Re: Anyone studying Computational Intelligence (AI) ?
February 24, 2006 12:44PM
Well, I'm not doing my entire Bsc (already have a degree) but I'm trying to learn more of the formal aspects of computational intelligence, so I'm studying all the computer science modules. I've done all of the philosophy and psychology in that stream as well, so if you wanna chat about AI or anything I'm up for that!
February 25, 2006 10:18PM
You also coming from an electronic engineering background?

I decided to do the complete degree (the maths will be a refresher, hadn't used it for about 10 years!)

I want to pursue it to PHD level for research into reasoning capability and not just pattern recognition and matching.

With my private research I am at the point where I need background into cognitive psychology and reasoning concepts (formal logic and philosophy) to find a means to map the contextualization of learnt concepts to a software medium (i.e. to implement this aspect of the concepts derived so far).

Are you currently doing AI work?
February 27, 2006 09:38AM
My Background is actually in philosophy.

My goal is to pursue research into the foundations of cognitive science, which in a narrow sense is heavily reliant on the "computational account" of mind. My problem was that I was coming up against a lot of really heavy theory (at least what I consider heavy) regarding the limits of computation and the completeness of physics. It's always the maths that kills me smile

With your background though, I doubt you'll find much of it difficult (the cognitive science/philosophy) smile Even though some of the postmodern critiques of mind get a little tricky.

Your research sounds fascinating. Do you have anything online or published that I could take a look at?

I think you will enjoy 3rd year logic as well, there is some useful stuff in that module regarding defeasible reasoning (heuristics) etc. That you would probably find super interesting.

Applied logic is where I hope to eventually end up doing work, although there doesn't seem to be a lot of support for it in SA (academically speaking)
February 27, 2006 02:36PM
Nothing online yet, I have two small black notebooks scribbled full of it and have to put it into a formatted publication first as well as continously review it for soundness (as I gain more background into formal logic and cognitive processes) - ie critically look at my statements/reasonings to correct the falacies and inductive reasonings mistaken for truths - its difficult to avoid affirming a notion as oppose to objectively deducing a true conclusion winking smiley

However, so far I can say that once the problem has been solved of finding a sound algorithm to implement the contextualization of concepts the result will be something that needs to be 'brought up' like a new born baby for at least 4 years and then duplicated and exposed to the clones who will then grow each others reasoning capabilities by interaction between themselves and multiple humans from different cultures and backgrounds (to avoid the same problem I mentioned above wrt decerning informal logic conclusions from formal logic conclusions). To avoid a threshold (stale condition) where they all know and understand the same and therefore will be unable to continue 'evolving' their capacity for sound reasoning, there has to be a measure of randomness in each. Pseudo randomness will not be sufficient and therefore a very sound means of producing randomness will have to be invented.

The randomness might proof to be more difficult than the contextualization problem - effectively randomness means one 'seed' must be as non-linear as the definition of non-linearity is (each element has exactly the same probability as the next of occuring) and this is very difficult to achieve in a linear discreet system such as software (which essentially is only a configuration sequence of a configurable state machine which we call a computer - another example of a state machine - not configurable - would be a traffic light, it has at least 7 states: green - wait - amber - wait - red - wait and if undefined state is reached then flash red light).

It sounds interesting, the angle from which you come, I would look at the possibility of furthering academic work abroad if such a field is not in demand in South Africa. For example I doubt there is a market for AI programmers in SA (game development doesnt really need high quality AI, just a good approximation to mimick real response and meaningful unpredictable behaviour and Denell would probably not be at the point of introducing AI into weapons guidance and threat avoidance systems). The US would seem a more likely country for this and your kind of work as they invest more into such concepts that might proof valuable in the future. Besides there you have government, civil and academic organizations that see the value of such work. (I dont know of european or eastern countries, havent had much information about them - however I think Japan for example would rather value home grown intellectual property than introducing it from abroad).
June 19, 2006 02:43PM
Hey guys

I'm studying comp AI. Not sure if this forum notifies posters of new messages, hope so.

Was wondering if you guys would like to talk some more on these matters?

lilumZA, you know, if you get a good idea you might as well start your own thing as opposed to working for someone else.

Electronic engineering? Seems like alot of Shock jocks opt for burning out joints on keyboards, is there a specific reason for this? As I was thinking of taking up Electronic Engineering next year / the year after, but well if everyone's leaving that direction .....

33957800, dunno if this might help, but think about Nature ( for randomness ), it's 99 experience and 1% maybe, a slow change and if it's successful then it endures. Any ideas on giving a program symantic knowledge? I'm driving myself up the wall trying to think of a workable solution to the problem.

Hope to hear from you.
J
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login