Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Languages used?

Posted by valkeye 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
June 03, 2006 08:46PM
Now, how do these degrees work?

Do we learn bits and pieces of defferent languages or do we stick with C++ throughout the degree?

I'm kinda hoping to stick with, and master, C++.. Being the best language out there. (I'm sure that'll stir up some comments! smiling smiley )

-Valkeye
Re: Languages used?
June 04, 2006 07:28PM
I think we will do a bit of work in Java next year or the year after

-AndreB
June 04, 2006 09:47PM
I hope not too much.. I'm kinda keen to remain with C++. smiling smiley

-Valkeye
June 05, 2006 02:50PM
Why so pro C++? Have you had a look at C#? For learning purposes C++ is definitely the way to go, and there are more business applications out there built with C/C++ than most people would care to admit.

AndeB
June 06, 2006 01:52PM
As far as I'm aware C++ has got to be one of the most powerfull languages, bar Assembler, it's the quickest by far as well. The main reason I don't like languages like Java, Python .... is because they aren't compiled languages, which means that they are going to be much slower.

I've also done quite a bit of Java, and it's basically modelled on C. But lets just compare Java and C++. As far as I can see the only two plusses Java has over C++ is when creating Web apps firstly, (Try putting a .exe onto a website), and also not having to compile your program for multiple environments(which is a big plus i agree). As for anything else C++ is the way to go.

Java is slower than C++
Java has less power than C++ (there are things that you just cannot do in Java with regard to hardware)
And it also takes just as long to create the program, unless you download a sepperate IDE.

But these are just my feelings.

-Valkeye
June 08, 2006 09:15PM
I haven't done much Web development and have no experience with Java. Your comparison between the 2 languages is spot on with everything else I've heard.
I guess we have got a long C++ road ahead of us. Best we get to love it.

Cheers.
June 09, 2006 05:00PM
My main hope though is that all the modules will pick a language and stick with it. At the moment I've done a bit of Java, a bit of VB, a bit of this and a bit of that.. So as a result i've got a basic knowledge of a few languages, but have mastered none. When I come out of this degree, I wouldn't like to have a broad knowledge of a few languages, but rather be an expert in one (hopefully C++).

But I do understand that this degree prepares us for the big bad world out there, and the best way to do that is to give us a basic understanding of as much as possible..... but I can still hope for as much C++ as possible.

-Valkeye
June 10, 2006 07:56PM
I'm pretty much in the same boat. I can help myself in a few languages but not enough of any one.

AndreB
June 27, 2006 05:41PM
I don't realy think theres many new "bussiness" applications going around getting created in C++ mainly due to the development cost involved in developing and maintaining these applications. Companies go more java or c# for these applications since these languages are much easier to use. C# specificaly I find to be very very fast for developing end user bussiness applications due to its low learning curve and huge class library that comes with it. Java can be a bit of hell when you do any enterprize level stuff with it since theres always 10 to 20 extra "thirdparty" components you need to use.

C++ is unmistakably the master language for any complex technology or hardware related work because of the power it gives you. I have yet to see any language beat it in anything like hardware drivers or games related work.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login