Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Converting string to char*

Posted by blacksheep 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: Converting string to char*
May 22, 2006 12:46PM
lol - nice!

Sounds like you know a lot about it though, that's very cool. I guess I just never had to really get very involved with those laguages 'cause nothing I've done commercially has been in them. Maybe one day though?
avatar Re: Converting string to char*
May 22, 2006 12:59PM
Be careful about recursion. You shouldn't use it if there's a possibility of it going many levels deep. You've only got a finite amount of stack memory.

Try this:
void Infinite(int a)
{
Infinite(a);
}

You'll get an error like: "Runtime error: out of stack space"
May 22, 2006 01:12PM
lilumZA, nice humour, I must get me one of those. If directed at me: No, I dont know alot. I take what I can remember (which is not alot) from a far forgotton time and I stretch it as far as I can in order to complete what I want to do. I must say, MSDN helps alot too. I have been trying to find a GNU alternative to this tool, something I can install on my laptop which gives me full comprehensive reference manual with overviews, definitions and samples of the whole language as used by the compiler; which I can also use offline.

robanaurochs, yes, it goes many levels. The depth of the tree structure is often unknown and very deep, but not infinite. I stole this paradigm from programming in scheme (a dialect of lisp), don't know if you fimiliar with it. It is probably by far the most strangest of languages I have ever seen. I dont remember alot of it, but I do remember the nature of its recursive methology of programming.
May 22, 2006 01:24PM
hey blacksheep,

Funny, I was just writing about Scheme, then I saw your post.
Scheme is able to handle recursion much better than a lot of other languages 'cause it implements tail recursion straight (check out the wikipedia entry).
I love Scheme, I think it's the coolest language around (if only to break how you think about programming)

lol - funny thing was, I was being serious - robanaurochs seems to know a lot, I really wasn't trying to be facetious (maybe a little, but in tone rather than content or intent - no harm intended).

I'm seriously all for open source (I work for an OSS dev house) - but there are three things from MS that you just can beat -
1 - visual studio
2 - SQL server's tools (never played with oracle, so maybe they are better)
3 - MSDN ... MSDN rocks my world.
May 22, 2006 01:51PM
Scheme, yeah. I just remember cdr and car. Get head and get tail. I used Scheme prolly bout ten years ago. C++ I used more than half a decade ago in the form of Forte C++ on Solaris at banks, insurance companies, etc.

Oh, no no. No offense taken. I love humour, I have a great appreciation for it. It brightens up my day.

Yes, robanaurochs sounds like a highly intellectual character with lots to offer students like me continually gathering knowledge.

Open Source then? Thats nice. I work mostly with proprietary products. But do get to work with Open Source products here and there: Apache Tomcat, Xerces, Xalan, PostgreSQL, and a few other I am still battling with.
May 24, 2006 05:45PM
Hi blacksheep,

two questions. Have you used Mono before.. I think it's quite new. From what I've heard it's an opensource .net equivalent which compiles for Linux and Windows?

Also, what do you think of PostgresSQL? I've tried to use it... But with limited success. I use MSSQL.

-Valkeye
May 25, 2006 12:36AM
Hi,

The mono project has been around for ages more than 5 years now. I personally havnt used it, not a fan of .NET nor of GTK.

PostgreSQL is one better Database solutions out there. Infact alot
of vendors use its codebase to derive their Database Systems from.

Kind Regards
May 25, 2006 01:44PM
valkeye, to anser your Q's:

Nope, have not used Mono before, never heard of it. Touched on Gnome, but am more of a novice that an expert on it. The tool I have created most GUI's with is prolly MFC on client side since most client workstations are MS with server side SW running on Solaris or Linux when it comes to thick clients. I have not really played around with this EZ Windows stuff. I gave that chapter a skip. This is where I prefer Java over C++ because the GUI tools forms part of the language instead of a third party set of libraries which is not a standard feature of the language. This means that your GUI code can remain the same when you run on diff OS platforms. Greatest thing since the commodore and Atari.

I think PostgreSQL is cool. Again, I am not an expert on it. But the ease with which you can create database objects manually and install software which uses Postgre is absalutely amaizing. Also have a look at the new Apache Database. Watch that space, its gonna take off like all the other popular Apache products. On a database note, I must also add, Oracle is a beeeeech, MS SQL Server is OK, MySQL is cool for small things, DB2 is a nightmare, Informix died, and what the <censored> happened to Sybase?
May 25, 2006 04:13PM
cool.. The type of apps that i'm doing in industry are quite heavily focussed on databasing. We're a relatively small company so we don't have the finances to buy expensive databases, but we also do need powerfull databases. We write data logging systems which can record up to 86400 rows a day (1 per second). So, at the moment i'm trying to find my happy medium. MSSQL is def. the easiest to configure and get up and running, although I've heard that mySQL is a lot more powerfull. Oracle 10g didn't really impress me that much. esp trying to figure out their connection string, and myself and postgreSQL.... we'll not go there.. smiling smiley

-Valkeye
May 31, 2006 02:51PM
Hi Valkeye,

Have you heard of SQLite before? If you using a client/server architecture then this may not be for you. SQLite is an amazing embedded SQL92 database, it speeds far superseed most of the current OSS database out there. Another amazing thing about SQLite is released under PDL (Public Domain Licence), so you can do as you please, unlike MySQL and other databases alike.

We currently using a distrobuted cluster PostgreSQL environment with too many queries to count daily, and I can honestly say we have had no problems with PostgreSQL, its stable as it gets. We've had problems with MySQL is past hence why we utilise PostgreSQL now. PostgreSQL can definitely handle a load far more efficiently than MySQL can.

Another alternative from what my other buddies use is a database called Firebird, its the on Interbase from borland that has continued development and has had good review and benchmarks.

Quick word on configurations, PostgreSQL is as easy as 1-2-3,
1. simple straight forward modifications to configuration file 1-5 lines
2. start the database
3. connect and away you are.

SQLite is zero configuration, so now configurations needed at all smiling smiley

Urls:
http://www.postgresql.org
http://www.sqlite.org
http://firebird.sourceforge.net/

Hope this gives you some more insight from personal experience.

-Seelan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login