Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assigment 3 & Exam letter

Posted by wroos 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assigment 3 & Exam letter
December 10, 2007 03:08PM
Same old story, anyone seen anything yet? Anyone as worried as I am about it being December 10 already :-?
Anonymous User
Re: Assigment 3 & Exam letter
December 11, 2007 09:46AM
haven;t got assignmet 3 back. as for an exam letter - you will see all we are getting for an exam letter on the one section of osprey - where the lecturers make comments.

Dear COS405A Student,

By now you should have started your preparation for the January 2008 examination in all earnest.

Here are a few last points regarding the examination paper:

 It is a three hour closed book examination worth 100 marks.
 It consists of 5 questions ALL of which are obligatory.
 It covers the study material as set out in tutorial letter COS405A/102/2007: Chapter 1: Sections 1-7; Chapter 2: Sections 1-5; Chapter 3: Sections 1-8; and Chapter 4: Sections 1-7 of your textbook.
 The types of questions include, but are not limited to, short, long, and essay type questions on the theory and its application, as covered in the above chapters.
 In your preparation please make sure that you know and understand the technical and formal details in order to be able to answer the theoretical and technical questions. Definitions, theorems, their corollaries, discussions concerning their significance, and how they contribute to the construction of the class of computable functions are core to this module.
 You should also have a thorough knowledge and understanding of the bigger picture, as painted in your textbook, concerning the systematic and rigorous construction of the class of computable functions as part of the foundations of your discipline, computer science.

General remarks:

 Unisa students write only one examination and no tests under controlled conditions. It would, therefore, be pedagogically wrong to exclude fragments of the work for examination purposes. All the material should be prepared for the examination in order to get the full benefit of the module.
 The module COS405-A basically concerns the systematic, rigorous, formal, precise mathematical characterization of the class of computable functions.
 Your work should reflect the utmost mathematical rigour and maturity.
 Diagrams, examples and informal discussions do not form part of mathematical proofs. They may be used as illustrations, but the proofs should be independent complete logical arguments.
 All auxiliary results that you may need, should be stated and proved as part of your answers unless you are explicitly allowed to make certain assumptions.
 Schemas such as (2.1) and (2.2) p. 40 and p. 41, respectively, of your textbook must be adhered to exactly. If you do not understand why this is of fundamental importance you do not yet grasp the essence and the purpose of the module.
 Under NO circumstances are you allowed to make your own simplifying assumptions to water down a question or to avoid important integral issues unless the question formulation explicitly allows/requests you to do so.
 It is essential to write correctly and use appropriate standard mathematical notation. Please do not invent your own notation. It is unacceptable and you will be penalised for it, also in the exam. I regard non-standard notation as unacceptable at postgraduate level in a module such as computability theory. Adhere to the notational conventions used in your textbook. It is sound scientific practice to respect notational conventions as far as possible and it makes your work accessible to the scientific community and to the persons who have to read it. I do not read any explanations of non-standard notation.
 Answer the questions at hand concisely and precisely, and do not omit essential details. I can mark only what I see in your examination script.
 Do not present material that has no bearing on the essence of the question.
 Work hard and enjoy your studies – it is a privilege!

Regards,
Professor Laurette Pretorius
December 2007.
December 20, 2007 01:26PM
anyone get assignment 3 yet?
Re: Assignment 3 & Exam letter
December 20, 2007 01:31PM
Nope! Also not for COS451.
Anonymous User
December 20, 2007 02:13PM
cos451? I downloaded the stuff off osprey - I am sure its there.
Anonymous User
December 28, 2007 08:47AM
i guess we are never going to see solutions for assignment 3 sad smiley well, not before the exam anyhow
Anonymous User
January 07, 2008 10:44AM
How am I supposed to check my understanding of the last few sections of chapter 3 and the whole of chapter 4 without model solution to assignment 3?
Anonymous User
January 07, 2008 11:03AM
I emailed the lecturer on Friday asking if she could email me the model solutions because I have not received anything via post. I am still waiting for even a faint whisper of a reply sad smiley

I promise that the minute I get anything I will make the stuff available - I will let you know if I received it by post or email and then we can make a plan to get you the stuff - I hope I can ask for the same favour from anyone else who may receive the model answers.
January 07, 2008 12:56PM
Yes definitely... Will make a plan to share the model answers when i get it... (Well... if we ever get it!)
Anonymous User
January 07, 2008 01:25PM
Hi

I sent an emai lto someone at unisa asking if lecturer was there. I just saw now that there have been some things added to osprey for cos405 and 460 - don't know what it is yet, but maybe we will get something useful smiling smiley
Anonymous User
January 07, 2008 01:38PM
oh well, all that was on the downlaods was the 'exam letter'. at least cos460 has the assignments answers. Maybe they are still uploading stuff for cos405
January 07, 2008 01:46PM
ya i hope so

*fingers crossed*
Anonymous User
January 08, 2008 08:54AM
I sent another email to the lecturer asking is she can post the 3rd assignment answers on osprey for us
Anonymous User
January 08, 2008 09:27AM
I also sent her an email requesting her to upload the solutions to assignment 3 on myUnisa, but nothing so far.

I have given up all hope of getting back my marked assignment 3 before the exams. Only ONE WEEK left and I usually get back my assignments after one week by airmail(at the earliest) since I am an international student. Two years ago I received my last assignment and the model solutions for one of the modules well after the exams!!!!
Anonymous User
January 08, 2008 09:32AM
I got this now:

Dear Ms Davidson,

I am back at the office now and will post the COS405 solutions to assignment 3 within the next day. I shall also post the assignment 2 ones, which were posted to you early in December.

Kind regards,
LP.
Anonymous User
January 09, 2008 02:44PM
do yo uthink we can lodge a complaint if we fail this exam?
Anonymous User
January 10, 2008 09:47AM
assignment 3 solutions have been posted smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login