Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who else failed..?

Posted by mb 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
mb
Who else failed..?
December 03, 2007 08:44AM
I did - 45%. sad smiley

And the weird part is I honestly didn't think it went that badly...
Re: Who else failed..?
December 03, 2007 09:25AM
Miraculously I passed. Phew.
December 03, 2007 01:52PM
Me failed - and won't get a supp - did too bad.
December 03, 2007 04:56PM
34%
December 04, 2007 09:10AM
Me also failed. No supp. What's worse is that I don't even know how to make it better. I will do it again but I don't know what to do differently in order to make it. I'll just carry on shooting my target in a dark room.
December 04, 2007 09:25AM
Grok the textbook. My textbook is very dog-eared and worn. I kept reading and re-reading and re-reading the chapters in the book until I understood every word. Also I wrote programs that applied the algorithms.

It worked for me as I got a distinction.

Btw, I even wrote Peter Norvig an email asking him something; and somehow ended up getting added as his friend on facebook!

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
December 04, 2007 10:12AM
Congratulations!! That is bloody brilliant. Well done.
December 04, 2007 12:55PM
thank you! 78%!

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Nat
December 04, 2007 03:12PM
84% Yay..
Studied my butt off (obvious)
December 04, 2007 04:14PM
well done! I messed up the FOL.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 05, 2007 05:35AM
Congratualtions Nat!! Very well done!
Anonymous User
December 05, 2007 09:53PM
Failed... only subject I failed. If I passed this I would've been finished this year. Didn't even get enough for rewrite. Think it'll help to write a letter and ask nicely?
December 05, 2007 10:24PM
Can we write a group letter? But, with some people getting distinctions, we can't really claim that the course was presented in an unclear manner (for lack of better wording). It would be interesting seeing which percentage didn't make it and what the average/gap of the non-makers and distinctions are.
December 05, 2007 10:35PM
I know one guy that knew he had done badly in the exam. He was clever. He immediately, in the next days applied for the agreotat - and got it.

So he gets a second try.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Anonymous User
December 06, 2007 07:12AM
I also failed, 35%
December 06, 2007 10:56AM
How does one apply for an agreotat?
Nat
December 06, 2007 11:03AM
Thanks... actually, I love to study.
Have also found that lecturers will help with remarking and so on.. I would consider asking for an aegrotat esp if it was my last subject.
Have completed the BSc, thinking about further studies but first taking next year off..
As for AI, there is so much info on the Internet, just Google e.g. adversarial search and download the pdf's and ppt's to work through. Esp work from Berkley, Stanford, Virginia Tech, MIT.
Nat
December 06, 2007 11:07AM
Um Think you send an email or fax to examinations department and check that they received it.
Anonymous User
December 06, 2007 11:23AM
The exam was unfair, I do not care who gives me whatever advice. I study from my textbook and exam notes. The is under graduate, not post graduate.

I have a life and work 10 hours a day. I expect more spoon feeding, and less personal research. This is why you have the lecturer-student relationship. One gives the info and the resources; and the other one takes it in. This subject was a one way street.

Also, the topic of this discussion thread is: "Who else failed...?" and not: "Who did wonderfull and please give us some tips...?" you champions can start your own thread, then I will be sure to stay clear from it.

Cheers
mb
December 07, 2007 08:45AM
Thanks, cfdl... My intention was to simply gauge how many other people failed along with me. I'm very happy for everyone who passed and did well, but this is a little like rubbing it in.
December 07, 2007 11:50AM
AFAIK, these results are not set in stone and they might change until the 11th of December. Anyone have a realistic idea now much they could possibly change? I presume a change of more than 5% is unlikely?

Cheers
Laurence
December 07, 2007 02:09PM
I presume any change is unlikely.

@Laurence: All adjustments etc happen before they reach this stage. It would have to take a huge blunder for there to be changes. This did happen at the Technikon where they ran multiple choice through an automatic mark and ran the tests through the wrong program! It was picked up after the provisional marks were released when an A student realised that something was wrong and took it up with the right people.

@Lauren: You can apply for an agreotat within 10 days of writing an exam. So if you know you did very badly you apply. You normally have to give a reason. "Stress" etc is normally accepted. Someone I know did this for this course (he ended up getting 10%; but he gets to write again in Jan (or whenever the supps/agreotats are) because he put in the application within 10 days of the exam.)

@Nat: Im doing a bunch of AI courses next year in Honours - specifically -
COS451 Artificial intelligence 1
COS407 Formal logic
COS408 Data structures and algorithms
COS460 Capita Selecta: Description Logics
COS462 Research for computing (Computer Science)

Basically every one of these courses is AI related. And then maybe take it further in 2nd year of Honours with the Project module.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
Nat
December 07, 2007 05:02PM
Going to take next year off ilan - would like to do honours too but first need to focus on something else. Good luck - I think you will ace these subjects too and look forward to following your progress on .com

Was not going to respond to the comments made about failing but feel strongly to mention this guys - you are not the only ones with a "life"
I have had a good day when my work day ends at 7pm. I manage my studies in between time spent with a lovely two year old. And I was off for 10 days before my COS351D exam to help nurse my terminally ill Gran.

I think that it is necessary to say that not only is the subject achievable - but for those who want it badly enough - its even passable with distinction.
December 10, 2007 01:56PM
I also failed sad smiley 37%
December 10, 2007 05:35PM
I made it, but just barely (52%).
Just hoping they don't lower this for the final mark.

Have any of you taken COS2338?
Sorry for posting this here, but the COS2338 forum is dead and I would
really like to know how many people passed that exam.
(I failed big time - 35%)
December 17, 2007 01:51PM
Just to put things into perspective here. I did 9 modules this year and I got a distinction for 8 of them. The 9th was this one and I scraped it at 53%. Me thinks that those who got destinctions did an incredible amount of overtime on this subject and well done to you for that achievement. However I have to agree with the others that this exam was a little unfair. I am understandably relieved that I passed but at the same time hugely disappointed.

That's my 2 cents.
December 18, 2007 12:25PM
How many of the 9 modules were 3rd year courses? And which ones?

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
December 19, 2007 05:02PM
8 were 3rd year courses:
cos301
cos321
cos351
cos361
inf303
inf307
inf308
ggh303

and one 2nd year course ggh203...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login