Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

blech

Posted by ilanpillemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
October 08, 2007 01:26PM
Well.. I messed up the decision tree and first order logic stuff.
I never learnt probabilities for decision trees and then I got confused somewhere in the resolution refutation stuff and then ran out of time. (I left 5.3 and 5.4 for last.)

so.. there goes my first. Blech....

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Re: blech
October 08, 2007 02:11PM
I have to say that i am upset about the cryptarithmetic question using a CSP. cryptarithmetics are not part of the syllabus, and therfore shouldnt be tested in an exam. They didnt even give an explanation in the exam as to what it is. Im protesting against that question since it is not mensioned anywhere that it is something we could be tested on. We are to be tested on the concepts, not knowing how something works. How can you apply a CSP to a problem that you dont understand?.

Then the decision tree question, when did we ever do a decision tree with probabilities? Is it even in the textbook? Not that i saw.

Other than that, i think the rest of the exam was fair, but im very upset about the cryptarithmetic and decision tree questions. We will see what happens.
October 08, 2007 02:22PM
Yeah... My graph of that cryptarithmetic question was real ugly. It looked like a bad squiggle.

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
October 08, 2007 03:12PM
Question 1 & 2 were difficult. What is a belief state? Totally agree with you Pyro on the CSP question. We should have been given some background on how it worked.

I think I was learning from the wrong book. FOL question was ok. Not sure about the decision tree.

That's one exam that I didn't pass.

Despondent!
October 08, 2007 03:15PM
So glad I am not the only one that screwed it up!

At some point I started wondering if I had the right text book, cause some of the stuff I have never seen before!!!

Hope what is left will go better than this first failed attempt!!

Good luck to you all!!
October 08, 2007 03:25PM
We should capture all this info in case one has to write a supp. Or even worse redo the module.
I always knew I was studying the wrong book. Maybe the lecturers can reveal which version of AIMA they are using?
October 08, 2007 03:28PM
Eish i spent so much time training a neural network.And the thing didn't come out sad smiley

Defn did not pass, maybe suppedangry smiley
October 08, 2007 04:08PM
Don't you think alot of the questions were just worded to throw you off? Like they were just out to see if you had learned the obscure things in the course but not if you understood the general concepts as covered by the assignments.

The other thing I find quite astounding is that we are given the syllabus in drips and drabs as the course was nearing it's completion. Surely it would make more sense to give students the full syllabus at the beginning of the year so that they can have as much preparation time as possible.

Perhaps it makes economical sense for the university when more students have to redo their courses the following year. Just a thought.
October 08, 2007 04:19PM
Well... I really studied fricken hard for this module, and I'm pretty sure I failed this one! The module seriously needs a study guide with lots of example questions (oh and answers off course), since the textbook is... well... useless!
October 08, 2007 04:30PM
deleted
October 08, 2007 04:54PM
It didn't go that well for me either - although I have seen some of the questions asked in examples, but didn't spend enough time on them to be able to duplicate their answers.
The decision tree is the only part I'm 100% OK with...
October 08, 2007 05:33PM
I stumbled badly on the decision tree and had no idea what the cryptarithmetic was about. After looking in the textbook when I got home it made sense, but now I've probably lost 15 marks because I learnt CSPs and not cryptarithmetic! Test us on the concepts, not obscure problems that aren't explained in the exam!

I spent lots of time on the decision tree learning algorithms and that, but the exam question just seemed to involve making up something that looks useful rather than any test of the syllabus?

I was also peeved that the neural network learning wasn't in the exam. The lecturers shouldn't bother giving us old exam papers that have no relevance to the current one, they should give us a useful study guide instead!

I'm just hoping for a pass rather than a distinction now. As much as I enjoyed the module, the support material and exam were rubbish. Unisa needs to spend more time on developing good material, especially at the prices we're paying.
October 08, 2007 05:45PM
Even looking at the cryptarithmetic in the textbook I still cannot figure out a solution for the question we had.

How you make sense of it?
October 08, 2007 06:00PM
Well, it made sense in that given an hour and my textbook I would've solved it. smiling smiley Considering that I finished in 2h, if I had an idea of what cryptarithmetic was about I could've at least made a decent attempt on a solution... If they'd given us a queens problem or colouring problem I would've nailed the question, but I figured that cryptarithmetic wasn't important as the textbook only had a vague example.

Study guide should've said: all vague examples in the textbook will be in the exam. Then I could've supplemented my studies with google and actually had a fighting chance!

And now on to COS301, what fun.... I'd rather be building a 3d game engine instead....
Nat
October 08, 2007 08:01PM
I agree - it was a tough paper... struggled with cryptarithmetic problem and the decision tree. My WalkSAT answer was also very dodgy... rest OK. Thought for sure we would get an A* trace, a Neural Net to train (spent so much time getting that into my head), a MGU question, DPLL, trivial "games" such as those sent in the exam example and forward checking for CSP...
Also spent some time looking at American and Australian university online study guides and presentations and downloaded a few sample exams to work through - their exams seem both more difficult and easier than ours e.g. less work covered per exam but more detailed coverage of work so easy and hard questions mixed. Also Planning, Probablistic Reasoning and Bayesian Networks all included in syllabus... Maybe now that assignments also count we should expect that new work will be covered in exam?

Good luck for rest of exams to all... ( So rattled after this one... )
October 08, 2007 10:14PM
Well, yeah, I studied really, hard, way more that everything else put together... And I'm sure I'm failing that one, or maybe just just past.

Q2, !?!?? -15

And seriously, I really worked on the CSPs, I could just not really figure cryptarithmetics out and thought, hey, only one fig on it... How do I wish now I googled that up...

Q7 was very weird for me. A hard question.

Now I just hope all that effort didn't sink the next 3 exams till 321 on tue sad smiley

rattled? I'm floored.
October 08, 2007 11:33PM
well. look.

when the top students are rattled, floored, concerned - normally the marks get raised.

So lets just hope we are the top students. winking smiley

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
October 09, 2007 08:33AM
well if i fail, im going to give the lecturer a call with this simple question "right i've studied for the exam, so how do i test myself? are there some material that covers a lot of examples with answers?"

i studied hard for this one, and never knew if i knew the work, as i could not F#$%#$ test myself! I will pay anything, just give me some tests with answers to test my knowledge. one example per topic and one example per assignment per topic does give me some reassurance, but not full confidence.
mb
October 09, 2007 10:54AM
I have to agree about the cryptarithmetic problem - I read through it when I studied, but it was so vague and unclear that I didn't spend too much time on it... now I wish I had!! I *might* have got the variables and constraints right, but totally screwed up the "constraint hypergraph". If they had explained WHAT a cryptarithmetic problem was exactly, maybe we would have had a fighting chance.

And call me stupid, but I couldn't figure out how to draw a NOT neuron..? If it fires then it doesn't fire, and if it doesn't fire then it fires..... ??

All that aside, did anyone else write at Pretoria yesterday? What a joke! I have never been subjected to so much disorganized chaos at an exam EVER. First there's a problem getting everyone into the hall (some bottleneck), and then, when you finally manage to fight your way in, you see that you need to be in a DIFFERENT hall altogether. We only started writing @ 9h30...
October 09, 2007 07:43PM
HI guys!

Check this page i came across.
http://people.brunel.ac.uk/~mastjjb/jeb/or/decmore.html

Exam was really bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!
October 09, 2007 08:03PM
[Duplicate]
October 09, 2007 08:03PM
Eauh.... I think there goes most of us "sot"s chances for getting a point... My version wasn't anything near to that, although I did realize that I had to put in questions in boxes with Yes/No lines out of it. Saving the example for next year - supp if I'm very lucky, Oct most probably.
Nat
October 09, 2007 08:16PM
Oh no... Now i'm really depressed... My tree did not look anything like this at all and was hoping for a few marks for my vague attempt. Our work did not cover anything remotely like that...
October 09, 2007 08:24PM
Dont think anyone is going to like the next comment:
Despite the fact that I didn't learn enough, I don't think the exam was unfair. The reason being, the most important aspects of the course was covered in the exam. The type of questions might have gotten us by surprise as we didn't do similar one's in the tut's (and in previous tut's they also were not covered - although that was a different text book).
Of course, nobody need to agree with me, and I'll most probably repeat this subject next year. Actually glad I got the exposure of the exam, would know better what to look out for next time! eye rolling smiley
October 10, 2007 07:35AM
If there is a next time I'm using the internet, because the book does not go into enough depth to answer these questions. sad smiley

They could've given us something to do with decision tree learning rather than some odd probability question I've never seen, at least then it would've been more relevant to AI and the textbook. Or at least a hint in the tuts, "Hey guys, you might need to go into more depth on decision trees so read up on probabilities, etc. on the internet instead of just using the texbook, and sorry to the folks without internet access!"
Nat
October 10, 2007 08:39AM
I prepared really well, and never study for an exam by going through tut's only... downloaded 128 MB of extra material and about 30 exams from other AI courses, and cannot find ONE example of the decision tree we had. I cannot see how I could have anticipated it - was there a different book before? Did the other book cover DT with probabilities?
Anonymous User
October 10, 2007 09:21AM
The Professor simply gave us some tricky questions/exam no matter how much we studied for it. To pass for me would be the sheer weighty luck my friends wished me.
October 10, 2007 12:29PM
hi nat how about passing me those 30 exams. jkoorts@gmail.com. I will be needing them in Feb or Oct next year.

also if possible links would be great.

im buying more books as well. our prescribed book is really good, but lack excercises with ANSWERS
October 10, 2007 07:36PM
CSPs was one of the parts of the work that I was really familiar with, but alas, because I don't know how cryptarithmetic (whatever) works I couldn't do the question.
This exam sucked
Nat
October 10, 2007 07:39PM
Hi JKoorts - Have sent some info to you, mostly pdf...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login