Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Shooting method for BVP

Posted by gert_yes 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Shooting method for BVP
April 27, 2007 09:40AM
Hi Guys,

This is a tough module and the textbook is very complicated.

Is there someone out there that could maybe help me to understand how they got to the results of example 6.2 (p. 369 G&W 7th ed.).

I also saw that this text is full of typos, hence i do not know if the question contains a typo or what.

Thanx.
avatar Re: Shooting method for BVP
April 27, 2007 04:01PM
firstly i'd like to say that the numerical methods textbook is easily the best thing about going to unisa for me! it's excellent, typos aside.

i haven't properly looked at the shooting method, but from the name and briefly reading the description, it sounds like you pick an arbitrary-ish starting value, follow the differential equation to the x-value where your boundary condition is defined. most likely you won't hit the exact y-value for which the boundary condition is given, so the whole process becomes a search problem: which initial value gets me (by following the DE) to the right value where the boundary condition is defined?

this kind of makes sense to me, but again i haven't properly looked at it yet (suffering mat307 atmo, just squizzed the abstract description of the method) so what i wrote could well be wrong. have a look online (eg. wikipedia), i'll look there eventually too...

edit: typing this out actually cleared it up for me a bit, so i looked around online (too lazy to get my book out the cupboard, lol) and it seems my guess wasn't too far off . some resources:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_method
http://numericalmethods.eng.usf.edu/topics/shooting_method.html
Re: Shooting method for BVP
May 08, 2007 01:25PM
Hi,

I am with you on this one. I am no math genius and feel the Book assumes too much and explains too little.

Pg 359 - Explains how they have split f=m*d2x/dt2 into dx/dt = y and dy/dt = f/m.

Pg 360 - Eg. 6.2 - then uses two arbitrary equations to try and explain how to use them for Taylor-Series, Euler Predictor....I understand this much and this seems simple enough.But know I have tried applying it to Q1 in Assignment 3 and then I am struggling.

On Pg 361 - the equations for xp , yp , xc and yc are only examples. What are the actual equations?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login