Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 3 Linux questions

Posted by iva 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
iva
Assignment 3 Linux questions
June 13, 2007 06:57PM
dunno if i missed a tutorial but there aren't any instructions on what to do with the Knoppix download ..assuming that its the download we need for the assignment.

The link onthe module downloads (http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/files/explorer2.php?dir=/COS321-6) has Knoppixbootdisk.zip which i assumed is what we need. once unzipped theres no read or even exe file or anything to install or run the shell.

All the instructions i have are from question 12 of assignment 3:

The shell window is the interface to Unix/Linux. within this window the user can write programs and give commands to the operating system to execute..
then...
Open a shell window....
and so on ,

The questions seem pretty basic/introductory but i have no idea how to open the shell app from what we got on the download..what am i missing?
iva
Re: Assignment 3 Linux questions
June 13, 2007 08:32PM
k for anyone interested it appears you have to make a cd out of this and boot your machine with it...
June 14, 2007 09:10AM
Yup, and the shell app is the 'Konsole' application on the bottom menu. The questions are very straight forward once you've got to this point!
iva
June 14, 2007 10:46AM
thanks ja, i just ended up doing it on another notebook that has linuxex
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login