Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

How are you going to study for the exam?

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
How are you going to study for the exam?
August 08, 2007 11:40PM
i was thinking of consentrating "their" summaries in the solution letters. And some UML.

Is it openbook?, I personally do not think so.

Cheers
Anonymous User
Re: How are you going to study for the exam?
August 09, 2007 12:30AM
I do know that the exam will concentrate heavily on design patterns
iva
August 09, 2007 01:14PM
design pattern explanations (theory questions) or implementations ( code design pattern for ...) ? ? ?
i mailed the lecturer to ask about the exam content and emphasis as there is hardly any theory in the book, but haven't received a response yet (2 weeks later)
if anyone gets an info please post it
September 05, 2007 11:47AM
I got something here from the lecture long time ago, does it help a little bitsmile?

-------------
As you are no doubt aware this is the first year that Ezust is used for COS3114. Furthermore the content of the module has changed completely. We would very much had liked to provide unambiguous outcomes of the module and to explain difficult concepts and correct errors. This however was simply not possible.

In Tutorial letter 201 question 01 we did specify the important aspects of the respective chapters. Tutorial letter 202 will also contain similar detail for the remaining chapters. We will express them as outcomes in the exam tutorial letter. The exam tutorial letter will also contain a detailed description of what you can expect in the exam.

Regards
P le Roux
-----------------------------
September 08, 2007 06:19PM
Exam Tutorial letter 104 is avaiable to downloadthumbs up, hurry up! I don't think it will be an open book exam like last year.
September 10, 2007 12:29PM
can the lectures confirm whether the EXAM will be open-book or not?

we need answers as soon as possible.

DJ BASS
September 10, 2007 06:37PM
Djbass,

tut201 page 4 says it will be open book.
September 11, 2007 10:52AM
THanks alot Jomilo, i didn't read through that tutorial properly the first time.
I just read it now and it is true...i think i'm happy about it! smile But i still need to study alot....but this makes me happy.
September 11, 2007 10:54AM
Can i ask a stupid question, is an open book exam just the textbook or any other relevant material ?
September 11, 2007 10:55AM
Only the text book.
September 11, 2007 11:11AM
THanks andrevh!
Anonymous User
September 11, 2007 11:13AM
SO in other words, the textbook will be useless in the exam?
September 11, 2007 11:30AM
I don't think open book is just a textbook. This was given as an exam tip by an old unisa student:

"You can bring in anything you want (except your laptop!), but will find your textbook summary and Unisa's model solutions to the assignments the most useful items to refer to."

But I think these are questions to be answered by the lecturers. They didn't say in the examination letter that the exam is open book, or give any guidelines as to what open book means, so I'm not 100% convinced it will be open book.
Anonymous User
September 11, 2007 12:22PM
This is an excerpt from page 3 of tut letter 4:

There are few questions which simply ask students to recall information from the prescribed
book. All questions ask you to apply knowledge or concepts, or evaluate.

There's no way we are going to be allowed into the exam with notes and textbooks
September 11, 2007 01:15PM
I have emailed the lecturer but no response as yet. But shouldn't we accept that a tutorial letter referring to the exam as an open book be the truth?
September 11, 2007 02:40PM
Edit...
{Removed duplicate post}
September 11, 2007 02:41PM
I'm with Rick on this one. The latest tutorial letter definitely gives the impression that this will not be an open book exam.
September 11, 2007 02:49PM
Another thing, they made it very clear in the exam letter that they won't penalize us for syntax errors. If it was an open book they would have penalized us as you can just look the syntax up in the textbook.
September 11, 2007 02:59PM
Heita Hola

can the lectures pls send us an official letter stating whether is an open-book exam or not. caues they cannot state in the tut letter that it is and when is no longer a case they don't inform students despite that we only have two weeks before we write the paper.

if the exam will be an open book(so i believe), then you can bring any reference material u have but pls guys organize that material in way that it will be easy for you to refer and not waste in time and end up not finishing your paper.

NB : me i am going to bring all my material to the exam and i will write an open-book exam if lecturers don't clarify this issue. SERIOUSLY! and i suggest we all must do the same.

DJ BASS
September 12, 2007 07:51AM
I agree with DJ BASS...the things is how can they say one thing in one TUT, and then don't say anythign further in the exam tutorial! i still haven't received a responsed from the lecturer, even though i emailed her when she was in yesterday....i'll send another email today. i suggest we all try to find out, and post a confirmation if anyone hears anything.
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 08:21AM
Hi,

Check for tutorial letter 104. It has the format for exams.
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 10:31AM
This is an excerpt from page 4 of tut letter 201:
Please make sure that you
understand the concepts and that you do not only copy text from the handbook as this
module will have an open book examination at the end of the year.

And nowhere said that it wont be open book.

Another excerpt from same tutorial letter pg3:
Please remember to use the
discussion forum for questions.
eye rolling smiley

it should have been:
Please remember to use the
discussion forum for questions which will not be answered.

thumbs up smiley
September 12, 2007 11:18AM
Guys

I just spoke to the lecturer. She read the tutorial letter i mention TUT201 on the phone with me and then told me that it's definitely NOT an open book exam even thought she read it with me....she says she's going to post a message now with a correction.

My concern is that if i didn't call her, i would have rocked up at the exam with my textbook. I think it's totally unfair that no other tutorial said that there was a mistake and An ERRATA in that tutorial...it might mean more to other students who don't have internet access and can read this.

What's happening to Unisa nowawdays when they contradict themselves over and over throughout this year!
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 12:13PM
Ag, please spare us. Read the tut letters with more insight next time.
September 12, 2007 12:22PM
Sooo,

if we need these
""""
This is very difficult to do this without
referring to specific classes. We have therefore selected a number of classes, namely,
QObject, QSet, QMap, QVector, QThread, QVariant, which you need to study in more detail

"""

I guess we have to learn them, use them in test code.

I think other books might be more useful studing patterns.

Well good luck , we are all in the same boat and we have 1 month before the storm.
September 12, 2007 12:25PM
I wasted my happniess yesterdaysad smiley... why don't they give us an open book one, like last year!!!
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 12:27PM
Those classes are well defined in Qt assistant. Yes, I think we'll have to be fluent in design patterns and uml
September 12, 2007 12:28PM
Would our book have been helpful ?????
September 12, 2007 12:29PM
My concern is remembering the method names for the mentioned classes. I program in Java on a daily basis and a lot of the methods and classes are very similiar but not exactly the same. Hope they don't penalise us too much for getting the method names slightly wrong.
Anonymous User
September 12, 2007 12:33PM
They said they wouldn't be too strict on the syntax as long as we got the main idea right.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login