Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ass3 giving me grey hair

Posted by 34572457 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Ass3 giving me grey hair
July 31, 2007 06:54PM
Anybody else having difficulty with this assignment. I thnk Ive been staring at backward E's and upside down A's for too long. Question 2.1 seems like it should be fairly easy and intuitive but for the life of me I cant quite complete the connection between premise and conclusion. Ive got most of the other questions just not this question.......aaaaargh
avatar Re: Ass3 giving me grey hair
July 31, 2007 07:21PM
Wasn't planning to do it, then realized that I need to send something in else I won't get the solution tut.
So, I'm only starting in about 30 min's time. eye popping smiley
Re: Ass3 giving me grey hair
July 31, 2007 08:42PM
I missed Assignment 2 so I have to get this one out..looks like an all nighter, problem is Im bushed right now and I think my brain has stalled.
July 31, 2007 09:41PM
I thought I was the only one doing it, this forum has been so quiet. I'm just reading a few more pages in the textbook, then I'll probably tackle it tomorrow night. I know its due today but if you submit it at the Unisa regional office, they should give you a few days extra due to the time it takes to send it to Pretoria.
July 31, 2007 09:56PM
I also thought for a while nobody else was doing this assignment. Im in Durban so I have to send it via myUnisa. I would like to get it done tonight so I can get some sleep tomorrow night. Its been tough catching up on all the material for ass 2 and 3 just so I can do ass 3
July 31, 2007 11:21PM
I've just finished mine, are going to submit now. Think I made a mess, but I'll *try to* catch up exam time.
July 31, 2007 11:37PM
I've Just submitted mine too...will hopefully qualify for the exams. I need to do some serious revision so I understand this stuff better.
July 31, 2007 11:50PM
I didn't do the assignment, wish I did though. It was either this or cos340.hot smiley
August 01, 2007 07:06AM
I started doing the assignment but then realized that COS214 ass 4 is compulsory for the exam admissiom and that it's a lot of work. So I dumped the idea since I got enough credits for the previous assignments.....
August 01, 2007 08:42AM
34572457 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've Just submitted mine too...will hopefully
> qualify for the exams.

I've informed Ms Chimbo of the new rule - that everyone are allowed to write exam if they have entered the compulsory assignment before beginning of May. That you do not need the 100 points for exam admission. Her comment was that she'll consider the new rule when she has to decided.

So, we'll have to see if she is going to stick to the rules set out in tut 101 or the new Unisa rules.
August 01, 2007 09:31AM
Reanie Wrote:
> 34572457 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I've Just submitted mine too...will hopefully
> > qualify for the exams.
>
> I've informed Ms Chimbo of the new rule - that
> everyone are allowed to write exam if they have
> entered the compulsory assignment before beginning
> of May. That you do not need the 100 points for
> exam admission. Her comment was that she'll
> consider the new rule when she has to decided.
>
> So, we'll have to see if she is going to stick to
> the rules set out in tut 101 or the new Unisa
> rules.

But surely if people submitted the first two assignments they should have 100 credits by now. You only need 50% or more to get 50 credits or am I missing something?
August 01, 2007 09:49AM
Correct, but some people didn't submit assignment 2.
August 01, 2007 09:52AM
Oh. I was nervous there for a bit.eye popping smiley
Anonymous User
August 01, 2007 01:17PM
I'm also one of those who didnt do the second assignment so I will do this one but I'll only have time for it on the weekend. I've been doing a lot of reading to catch up since I last did this stuff in March I think but it doesnt look as bad as everyone makes it seem (I may be speaking too soon)

Later
August 01, 2007 03:34PM
I was planning on spending the whole evening reading the last few sections in the textbook and then working on the assignment. Now I should really take work home so it looks like it'll be a late night or I'll have to try to finish the assignment tomorrow night. I'm getting behind in all my other subjects which is not the best thing considering its so close to the exams.
Anonymous User
August 01, 2007 03:45PM
I'm just happy that this one is the last assignment I have to submit for the year so its worth putting in all the effort
August 01, 2007 08:15PM
I just figured out the answer to my original post, question 2.1. Turns out you shouldn't skip parts of the textbook that look unimportant like the defualt behaviour of Fitch sections. Oh well...

Im glad too,this was my last assignment....feels wierd having nothing to do tonight.

Clive
August 01, 2007 08:32PM
bini Wrote:
> I'm also one of those who didnt do the second
> assignment so I will do this one but I'll only
> have time for it on the weekend. I've been doing a
> lot of reading to catch up since I last did this
> stuff in March I think but it doesnt look as bad
> as everyone makes it seem (I may be speaking too
> soon)
>
> Later

It looks easy and seems logical but actually doing it is more difficult than it seems. Some of those questions took me ages (assignment 2).
August 02, 2007 10:57AM
I just finished MAT103N last night, I did only 11 out 20 multiple choice, and risked the negative marking with the random answers elsewhere. I also did cos321 (late) yesterday, and will hopefully get this ass3 out Sunday. I did not do cos201 ass3 yet. It is the only one (chapters 10-11) that I dont get yet.
Next year, I wanna finish and start my life.
August 02, 2007 07:08PM
I attended the discussion class in Pta, but have not done the assignment. Due to work and other pressures I will not get to this assignment either.
I'm not too sure that I agree with the idea of only sending the assignment solutions to people who submitted them.
Sometimes it really is just beyond your control whether or not you get to submit the assignment(s). Most of us are not full time students.
August 02, 2007 08:38PM
I agree mate, I also attended the discussion classes in PTA. I got my credits and due to 214 I dumped ass 3. I stripped my you know what about the module because of the lack of proper examples relevant to the ass questions. They need to realize the fact that we are not full-time students who can ask the lecturer every day for some guidance......
August 03, 2007 09:08AM
AndreB Wrote:

> I'm not too sure that I agree with the idea of
> only sending the assignment solutions to people
> who submitted them.

Unfortunately we only get a printed version, else I could have emailed you the electronic version.
August 03, 2007 10:11PM
I'm finally attempting this assignment. The first two questions have gone quite well, but its the formal proofs that I always find difficult. Tomorrow's another day... I will submit by the end of the weekend though.
August 04, 2007 02:57PM
Tracey
Here is a little tip..go check out the all the tutorial letter downloads for Cos261. Everything for 2005 is still there. Look at the Key answers for assignment 3....they may remove it after reading this though.lol..Hope it helps. I unfortunately only discovered this after submitting my assignment.

Clive
August 04, 2007 10:15PM
Thanks for the tip, the formal proofs aren't going as badly as I thought they would though. In question 2.3 what do the backward arrows mean? Is it a typo or did I miss where those appeared in the textbook?
Anonymous User
August 05, 2007 08:40AM
Yes thanks for the tip Clive grinning smiley
August 05, 2007 09:24AM
As near as I can figure the backward arrows mean the same thing as a normal conditional except it's applied as "if the last statement then the first statement " as opposed to "if the first statement then the last statement".

I can't see it meaning anything else since it doesn't seem to appear in the text book anywhere.

Clive
August 06, 2007 10:15PM
Hi Reanie:
My fax number is 011 237 8735 smile

The hardest part right now is trying to find my rythem and to get back into a decent routine, which is what is needed to get through this years exams. I've had and am currently busy with a couple work projects, which means that my study routine has been shattered.
I really enjoyed this years studies up to the end of June - from there things just fell flat. Hopefully I'll be able to get going in time to have a decent go at the exams.
All the best to all of you.
August 07, 2007 08:57AM
Andre, I'll have to go and find the tut's first - my filling system isn't the best in the world - except to say that it's not gone, just somewhere in the house....
August 09, 2007 08:45AM
Cheers Reanie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login