Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Assignment 1 - Question 3

Posted by jeanbodemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Assignment 1 - Question 3
March 22, 2007 09:51PM
Are we required to use identities to solve this problem or can we just loosly state the facts that lead us to a specific conclusion?
Anonymous User
Re: Assignment 1 - Question 3
March 23, 2007 07:23AM
From what I read in the textbook, you need to justify your reasoning by
stating the 'rules' you used to arrive to your conclusion.
March 23, 2007 09:18AM
If by rules they mean identities then how do I relate them to LeftOf and Between?
Anonymous User
March 23, 2007 09:40AM
If my memory serves me correctly, identities do not apply to this particular question. Identities are used to state that 2 or more labels/names refer to the
same object which in this case you are not required to do. Try to use the definitions of LeftOf and Between to show how you would arrive to your final conclusion.
March 23, 2007 09:59AM
[Edited] Posted this in the wrong forum.
March 26, 2007 08:40AM
bini is right. U need to state the laws. Either DeMorgan Or Double Negation like in Cos 113-W(computer science). by the way, thanks jeanbodermer)
March 26, 2007 09:24AM
When I said identities I was actually referring to the rules "elim" and "intro", I forgot that identity means = (there are way too many new terms in this subject). I still can't figure out how to apply them this question though.

In the end I just stated my reasoning without using the given "rules", something like.

The function Between(x,y,z) means that the variables x,y,z is arranged in such a way that they are either arranged horisontally, diagonaly or vertical ...... etc.

Hope that is what is expected as I can't see the rules applied here, although I do get the feeling that we basically have to prove between is transitive.
avatar Re: Assignment 1 - Question 3
March 27, 2007 09:38AM
I used the definitions of Between and LeftOf and where that places each object in the grid to validate the statements.
Reanie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login