Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Language, proof and logic

Posted by 7315880 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Language, proof and logic
January 02, 2007 10:43AM
Urgenty looking for a second-hand copy of the textbook

email: ferdiel@absa.co.za
Re: Language, proof and logic
January 09, 2007 02:50PM
From what I gathered in my online travels today, this book is heavily reliant on a software component, and that it requires some sort of irreversible registration to use said software. So it would seem that, unless the previous owner is willing to share the email address that the book was registered under, a second-hand copy would be near useless.

The reviews on Amazon (Not the most objective review, I know. But it gives one an idea) are also less than flattering:

http://www.amazon.com/Language-Proof-Logic-Jon-Barwise/dp/1889119083#messages.1889119083

The book is very expensive to buy from Armstrong's (R775 - I haven't yet enquired from Van Schaik's regarding price), but coming from Amazon it is around R500. I consider this a very high price for a book that stands to effectively become useless if the parent site, for some reason, were to become unavailable (no net connection, no computer access, site goes down, company goes out of business, etc). To give you some idea, most second hand copies of the book are selling for $10 or less (one used copy on Amazon is selling for $0.89!). That's a HUGE drop from R770/R500.

I'm personally not impressed by the lecturer's choice to use this book.
January 10, 2007 06:57AM
I got the book from a colleague who has not installed the software. I can use the book for free! The only catch is that I have to install the software on a VM so that we both can use it.........
January 11, 2007 10:04AM
Do you have to register it online for the web aspect?
January 11, 2007 02:07PM
No I have not, I registered for 11 modules this year (part time) and have all the textbooks I need. I will most certainly start by next week.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login