Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

are you battling as well?

Posted by jxharding 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
are you battling as well?
July 24, 2007 09:52AM
hi,
i passed C++ last year so i know im not stupid.this is my first meeting with java.
i am enjoying it.
however, i am battling with Project 4.

i need to submit it because i have only received 50 credits for a1 + a2 , (no results for A3 yet).

i will however have to use the internet to look up a lot of the answers as i cannot figure it out myself.
i know it is wrong, but i will be able to answer the question, learn from what i see, and be able to apply that principles in the exam.

am i the only one doing it this way?
ive been doing this in my normal .net programming and have learned a ton.
this is my way of doing things
Re: are you battling as well?
July 24, 2007 10:09AM
I agree. There are text books, then are more text books and then there are internet resources. I do the same thing as text books are not always the best place to learn. If it wasn't for internet resources, I would not pass certain modules. I'm more concerned about the C++ than java, not even mentioning formal logic 2.....
July 24, 2007 11:26AM
if we dont obtain 100 credits... are we completely out of the running for exam entrance?
July 24, 2007 11:30AM
i now of 1 instance where a guy with 90 points received exam admission , but that was last year.
July 24, 2007 12:28PM
ok thx dude ;p

im just finding assignment 4 very tough and put in a weak attempt for assignment 3 of which i am now regretting ;p
July 25, 2007 02:32PM
Well according to UNISA we don't need to obtain 100 credits anymore but some lecturers seem to be denying this.

Check out the thread:
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/phorum/read.php?196,56917
July 29, 2007 07:55AM
I really have not spent enough time on this module at all, but I have been enjoying it so far, up to now that is.
i'm still trying to work through some of assignment 3's stuff, and just spent an evening ttrying to figure out that you require: "import java.net.*;" to be able to read a URL in an applet. I searched high and low in both my textbook and other references and eventually found it on Sun's website.
I'm probably too far behind to even think of submitting assign04 by next Sunday - but we'll give it a go anyhow.
July 29, 2007 11:21AM
Assignment 3? Wasn't that due on 23 June? May I ask what in assignment 3 would require you to read a URL in an applet?
July 29, 2007 10:28PM
Hi Steven,
Yeah, I'm a little behind in this module. The first 2 assignments went really well and were a breeze and were completed in February, and I've been guilty of neglecting this module since then.
Assignment 03 - Question 3 = Do project 5.1 on page 204-205 of Jia. This was the scatterplot applet, that was to read the co-ordinates from a text file (using the URL as described on pg 200 - 201?).
Nowhere in the book mentions using the directive "import java.net.*".
You could probably (I assume) have provided an explicit path to the text file, but surely this would only then work on your machine, and not when the web page get's moved to a server?
Anyway, that's my take on it - I may have missed the mark a little, but I eventually got it to work (and quite neatly at that).
Cheers
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login