Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dev C++ errors

Posted by henrys 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Dev C++ errors
May 03, 2007 11:02AM
Please help me. Suddenly my compiler does not indicate the line numbers where
there is a problem. Extract below shows.

error C:\UT_MZI\unisa\devcpp\linkedlist.h:19 expected `,' or `...' before '<' token
error C:\UT_MZI\unisa\devcpp\linkedlist.h:19 ISO C++ forbids declaration of `linkedlistType' with no type

Where there is "error.." used to be the line number where the problem is. Pointing the mouse on these doesnt reveal anything either.

Please help. I need to submit this before May 10..
Re: Dev C++ errors
May 07, 2007 09:55AM
Hi

This means that the error is not in the file currently opened. It is in linkedlist.h - line number 19.

regards
May 07, 2007 10:48AM
Henry,

I've given up on DevC++, I used MS VisualStudio C++ Express edition for my work. I don't believe that DevC++ and Mingw are the perfect partners when it comes to IDEs and compilers. Besides, MS VS express did not cost me anything and it's more up to date and user-friendly. I think if you also look at the foreword section of Malik, the author states that the source code in the text-book is tested with both MS VS and Borland, no mention of DevC++.

Ferdie
May 07, 2007 02:13PM
Hey Ferdie

I'm with you on that one man. I'm a MSVC++ user as well, I'm just not using Express, but not for long, now that I know it's free!

DevC++ doesn't even have an interesting GUI, and furthermore MSVC++ is more industrial. Got run-time debugger with a code dissasembler, process viewer, and allows you to check loaded dlls (not that many in this course would be doing that anywayz). But for all it's worth, sometimes I think it's overkill, i.e. for the debugger and the dissasembler I'd rather use OllyDbg or the like.

Regards
May 08, 2007 10:33AM
I've decided to go the MS visual Studio route this year as well. Debugging is just so much easier in VS than in DEVC++.
May 09, 2007 06:52AM
For those interested, the MS Visual Studio express components can be downloaded from Microsoft at the link below.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/downloads/
May 09, 2007 11:53AM
If it is of any help, I have reverted back to the version of mingw and DevC++ on the 2006 UNISA computer science disk, and am now able to compile programs that would not previously compile with the installation from the 2007 disk.

When using the 2007 installation I had major problems compiling the linked list and ordered linked list code. Both of those are now compiling and I implemented my solution for Assignment 2 Q2 and got that compiling successfully, with the help of one of the course lecturers.

For info, the 2006 disk uses gmake.exe, not mingw32-make.exe. For either 2006 or 2007, note the trouble-shooting section on the disk that says:

C:\unisa\mingw\bin should be added to "Binaries".
C:\unisa\mingw\lib should be added to "Libraries".
C:\unisa\mingw\include should be added to "C Includes".
"C++ Includes" should be empty.

in "Tools | Compiler Options" under the "Directories" tab:

Despite something to show for my perseverance (and the help of a lecturer), I may try MS Visual C++ and see how I get on with that...

Richard
May 10, 2007 03:07PM
If anyone wants to go back to the 2006 version of mingw and DevC++ it's posted at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/heather.leeman/cos211_2006/

The 2007 version is at:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/heather.leeman/cos211_2007/

I have personally fared better with the '06 installation.
May 25, 2007 02:13PM
Tks guys.Me thought it was just me wired all wrong. I shall revert to 2006 version. tks again and bye..
May 25, 2007 05:47PM
Good luck with the 2006 installation. If you still have problems with your code I am happy to e-mail you the amendments I made to the linked list classes so that they compliled OK.

Richard
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login