Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Windows Vista and Devcpp

Posted by CandiceA 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Windows Vista and Devcpp
May 07, 2007 07:15AM
Hi all,

Has anyone else had any problems installing the DevCpp software with Windows Vista??? If anyone has installed successfully, please help.
Anonymous User
smoking smiley Re: Windows Vista and Devcpp
May 07, 2007 08:58AM
thumbs up smileySure! I've also encountered problems in installing dev-cpp but I finally had a breakthrough. Firstly just know that the software are installed using diffults, therefore you only need to follow few instructions when installing(you may use the relevent tutorial letter provided to you/also the disc posses this instructions). Note.: if you had followed all instructions correctly without success, then you system might have previously attacked by a virus, so you must visit your neareast computer dealer to repair you system. hope you will find this relevent.
Re: Windows Vista and Devcpp
May 07, 2007 11:10AM
Thanks for you response. I have installed the software several times before with no hassles. This was using Windows XP.

After trying for the first time with Windows Vista, it says that the software was installed correctly. However, when I tried to open the program, I could't - the icon was blank and there was no link to the program. Could I really be missing something here confused smiley

I have referred my query to computer dealers, but they say it's Vista. There has to be a way to make it work...

Any ideas?
Anonymous User
May 07, 2007 01:01PM
For sure your are missing something, please try instructions in the tutorial letters and go through them carefully. Interms of the software to use I prefer windows XP since I'm using it.
avatar Re: Windows Vista and Devcpp
May 07, 2007 02:56PM
Hey,

I am also running Windows Vista, but I run other development tools on my PC for work purposes. I therefore use a Virtual PC for all my Unisa stuff. The latest version of Microsoft Virtual PC is 2007 and is free to download. You can find it at http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx. There should also be info on setup and such.

It really works great for me.
May 08, 2007 06:42AM
Thanks Elize,

Tried out the Virtual PC - but it isnt compatible with Vista Basic sad smiley So frustrating! I have a feeling that my only remaining option is to reload XP.

Thanks for all the help - much appreciated.
May 08, 2007 09:45PM
If I'm not mistaken, DevC++ is a 16 bit application which I don't think you'll get to work to well in Vista without quite a bit of hassle, or as Elize has done by using Vitual PC.
CandiceA - I'd recommend you download Visual Studio 2005 Express edition and working in VS C++. Soooo much better than DevC++
May 09, 2007 06:42AM
That is a great idea! Thanks a mil smile
May 15, 2007 04:29PM
Why on God's earth are you using VISTA?
May 16, 2007 06:46AM
Not a first choice - had to buy a new PC and could only get one with Vista. Trust me - I will be loading XP back on.
June 21, 2007 02:18AM
I'm running Vista Ultimate and have no problems with devcpp. Even if there were problems you can run it emulating XP Sp2 (which you can do with any app).

Seems silly to downgrade to XP again when it does work :/

I did have the same problem with a non linked icon in the start menu, but you can just add your own shortcut anywhere pointing to C:\unisa\devcpp\devcpp.exe - obviously just changing the directory to where you installed it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login