Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Install XAMPP environment

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Mac
Install XAMPP environment
January 19, 2007 09:16AM
We use XAMPP to setup the Apache, PHP and MySQL environment on your computer. On your CD, there is a XAMPP installation file for Windows (win32), and one for Linux. Just click the XAMPP file. For Windows, just click the installer file to install and follow the installation progress. Click this link to read more about the installation process. http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html

Once you've installed XAMPP, you will create your files (as per the manual exercises) in the XAMPP root folder which is at

c://program files/xampp/htdocs

You can create as many folders as you want there, e.g.
assume you created a folder named "exercises" to save your exercise files (file_name.php) in. In your browser, you will then go to http://localhost/exercise/file_name.php to access the file. Hover your mouse over the link to see the full path bottom left in your browser.

Thhe PHP Designer application (a PHP editor) is also provided (pe is the personal free edition, the other one the professional edition which you must buy after 30 days). We provide this editor without support. You can use Notepad to type PHP code if you want...
avatar Re: Install XAMPP environment
January 30, 2007 05:26AM
Hi, there.

For some reason, XAMPP would not work properly on my PC. As a result I installed WAMP. This works just fine.

So, I would like to suggest it to anyone who may experience problems with XAMPP.

Cheers
DotKhoza
avatar Re: Install XAMPP environment
January 30, 2007 05:35AM
About WAMP:

It is called WAMP5 1.6.6 with APACHE 2.0

You can find it at http://www.wampserver.com/en/

Cheers!
DotKhoza
Re: Install XAMPP environment
January 30, 2007 12:42PM
Hi. Would it be fine if I used the XAMPP on the 2006 CD to install, or would it be better to download the newest version?

Therese
Mac
January 31, 2007 07:40AM
Use either.
Anonymous User
February 10, 2007 03:31PM
Why are we still using php4? the syntax for php5 is alot different than php4. and the mysql on foxserver is really old aswell. if i use php5 will you be able to read the code on that side?

Can I install Apache 2.2.3, MySQL 5.0.27, PHP 5.2.0

i know when you programme in php5 php4 servers dont understand the code. even php 4 and php 4.4.4 dont understand one another. I still have fox server from last year. I didnt get new xamp software for this year. So my question is what should i install?
Mac
February 12, 2007 08:15AM
XAMPP allows you to switch between PHP4 and 5, which is why we use itr now. You can use whatever you want. XAMPP is on the disk, so get the disk or download frrom apachefriends.

You will find very few servers running 5. It normally takes a while before people are prepared to upgrade.

The syntax depends on what level you code. This course is introductory, and you can happily code with this "introductory code approach" in PHP5 - there are in fact very few syntax changes required for code to work in 5. If you go the Object-Orientated route, its a different kettle of fish. But that is really advanced.
February 17, 2007 11:04AM
I found this very helpfull link if you want to DIY -

http://www.devshed.com/c/a/Apache/Installing-and-Configuring-Apache-2-on-a-Windows-XP-Machine/

You can then use all the latest downloads.
February 17, 2007 05:10PM
Ok - all setup and running 100% , did it the manual ( and probably more difficult) way, but think i learnt a lot about apache and php config ( httpd.conf , php.ini ). Im now also fluent with the Apache errors log file !!

Running -
apache 2.2.3
php 5.2.1
mysql 5.0.27
firebird 1.5.2 (company DB of choice)

The link above helped me alot too. Mac , do you forsee any problems with this setup ? Am i missing anything ? Thanks
February 17, 2007 09:31PM
Hi There

I've only received my manual a day or 2 ago. Just a little bit confused here, as I dont understand half of the web terminolgy thats been mentioned in the above threads,my knowledge is limited as i've only dealt with dreamweaver and HTML as my main tool for websites but i do hope with everyones help i'll be able to go through this sucessfully, as i'm determind to understand php. So please excuse my silly questions.

My 1st question for now is do we first install the software required on the CD provided and then follow through with the class requirements as mentioned in the masterskill manual.
February 18, 2007 12:02AM
Does Apache Web server and Microsoft Personal web server work in the same way, if so then do i have to download Microsoft Personal web Server 4.0 as prescribed in the Masterskill manual under class requirements?
Mac
February 19, 2007 08:05AM
XAMPP just install everything for you at once, with little input. In the past one installed Apache, PHP, MySQL one at a time which took some effort. That's why we provide XAMPP - to make it easy. Therefore the installation process as described in the manual is not applicable when you install XAMPP.

Some of you might have received a tut letter which you should not have - download the latest version from our website. The tut letter states:Installation Section 5
Tutorial 101

Chapter 1 (this is all background – XAMPP installs everything for you so don’t follow, i.e. do the steps!) , meaning ignore Chapter 1.

See http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-windows.html for installation instructions of XAMPP (or just Google XAMPP install).
February 19, 2007 07:59PM
I've installed XAMPP and everything seems fine, although I'm not sure whether I should have installed Filezilla as a service (I did it anyway), I already had it on my PC. What's Mercury used for? Do we need it?
February 19, 2007 10:14PM
Thanks Mac

seems like i've got XAMPP running on my pc, can i use either note tab pro or dreamweaver for the php coding?
February 19, 2007 10:18PM
oops dont answer that question i just got my answer in a previous thread, thanx anyway smiling smiley
Mac
February 20, 2007 07:50AM
You only need PHP, MySQL and Apache - the other services are not required. You can stop these servicexs from starting up - right click My Computer -> Manage -> Services. Find the service -> double click and set the service not to start.
March 05, 2007 02:50PM
Hello All,

Finaly got my lazy ass in gear and installed it the gat oor kop maneer!!

All working 100.

Running:
1. Apache v2.2.4
2. Php v5.2.1
3. Mysql v5.2.3
4. Firebird v1.5.4 (company DB of choice)

Cheers
Nino
August 10, 2007 11:18AM
Hello All

Just got my study material. I have successfully installed the XAMPP software. My problem is that under status which I accessed through http://10.121.74.178/xampp gives me the following XAMPP Status
This page offers you one page to view all information about what's running and working, and what isn't working.

Component
Status
Hint

MySQL database DEACTIVATED

PHP ACTIVATED

HTTPS (SSL) ACTIVATED

Common Gateway Interface (CGI) ACTIVATED

Server Side Includes (SSI) ACTIVATED

SMTP Service ACTIVATED

FTP Service ACTIVATED

Some changes to the configuration may sometimes cause false negatives. All reports viewed with SSL (https://localhost) do not function!

Any ideas on how to fix?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login