Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: HELP! (My site's gone.) 2006 forum

Posted by Viresh 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
May 14, 2007 12:00AM
Hi Mac

I've experienced the exact same problem as was Posted by:

markdp (---.saix.net) Contributor
Date: May 23, 2006 01:21PM

I edited the english.php file (tried to change the "Welcome Guest" text)
After I saved the file, my catalog disappeared?!

Any ideas? I've tried replacing the file and its contents, but still nothing.
The site only shows up when this english.php file is deleted, as you pointed out in that forum...

Thanks
viresh
Mac
May 14, 2007 07:58AM
I've replaced the file and all is working again. Be very careful when you work with the language file - you shouldn't have to. Why do you want to replace Welcome Guest?
May 14, 2007 10:09AM
Thanks, I realized that only afterwards it wasn't the right file to edit.
I just wanted to make some minor changes to the text on the landing page.

Just one other thing, regarding development of our site and files. Is it ok to make changes to my files from my pc, using Dreamweaver 8, and then uploading everything to the server later on. Something you would suggest?
Mac
May 16, 2007 08:32AM
You can go that route, but be careful smiling smiley
HELP! (My site's gone.)
May 16, 2007 08:57AM
Mi Mac

I claimed site 04 and modified the configuration files as per Step 2....the work in
http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/mac/ecom/04/catalog

is not mine

Rather my work seems to be in a number of other live pages eg 07,12 which are already claimed?

I seem to have made a BIG mistake...

I have checked that I have modified the correct files as per step 2

Lloyd
Mac
May 17, 2007 08:05AM
Your sites come with some products in it to help you understand how products are added (images may not work though). Delete all products and add your own.

You can alos change the db to oscom04 as opposed to oscom4 as per the tut letter
Anonymous User
Problems with live site
May 19, 2007 04:24PM
Hi

I have done all the steps up to step six. When try to view my live site. I find that all the addition(update are all gone). It seems that every time i eneter 07/catalog on step 6 pointers , it opens my catalog page but i go into other link- mystore it defaults back to 02. I have checked configuration change done in step 2 and all was done as instructed e.g changed 03 to 07 and oscom7
Re: Problems with live site
May 19, 2007 04:28PM
Hi Mac

I have the same problem. With me it happends with 06 defaulting to 02. Please help
Mac
May 21, 2007 05:25PM
Well, it's all in the config files. Using 07 as an example.

If I go to http://osprey.unisa.ac.za/filemanager/explorer.php?dir=/07/catalog/admin/includes, I see 02 instead of 07.

So you are working on the 02 database rather than the 07 (or 7) database.

Just a remonder - this is a web-based course and that means you should read all threads (or posts) in this forum, and even go back to last year's forums to find solutions smiling smiley
May 29, 2007 09:35PM
Hi Mac

I seem to be having the same problem over and over. Whenever I make any slight changes to .php files, my site disappears upon refresh.

(I have been trying out the 'Tips' for customizing your site section of the prac documentation.pdf )

My site has disappeared on trying the ff:

- Add Back Button to product_info
- Add Cart to Each Page
- Adding images to box headings on left and right

I eventually got the site back after re saving the original file (without desired changes)

The only thing that worked was adding visitor IP.

Any ideas on how I should proceed, and implications for how we're going to be graded on this prac. Because I'd like to do more than just add products, but hit a blank screen everytime? (literally!)

Could the problem be a permissions issue? Or should I have made these code changes before config, or adding products to catalog?

Thanks for your help!
Viresh

P.s. Please can you reset my product_info.php file,as it doesn't work anymore.
Mac
May 30, 2007 09:27AM
Thabete

You admin configuration file points to database oscom7. Your store front configuration file (include/conf...) points to oscom07. That is two different databases! If you add products with the admin interface using oscom7, then the other one should also be oscom06

Motoml

Your products admin end and front end is in fact the same. It seems if you follow the online catalog link (from inside the admin area, top right) it takes you to 02. Your admin config file looks to be correct, so it shouldn't be happening. I'll have to look at this on Friday (working at home most of the week with no access to the server). For now just type in http://www.osprey.unisa.ac.za/mac/ecom/06/catalog/ to go to your front page, i.e., don't use the link.

Viresh

Try and stick to the basics for purposes of this prac - you don't have to do everything in the parc doc smiling smiley It's great that you are doing more (and I don't really want to prevent you from doing that). Permissions will play a role.

When you run this on your own server with spesific user rights, it would solve the problem. You are all currently accessing the server under limited user rights, which allows you to change the config files and a few other areas. If we open up the whole structure, we have up a security risk since anyone can then add malicious code. If we limite it to config files (which we have password-protected) and images folders, we are safe. We we're hacked last year through a security hole that existed right here in this course.

I can only change the product_info file on Friday - I am limited to the server myself from home. Hope I remember :0
May 30, 2007 09:36AM
Hi Mac

Thanks for the reply. Totally understandable!

Since I can't do anything on my claimed site (05) just yet, can I claim site 12 as a last resort?

Also, I've managed to install OScommerce on one of my live sites, and its working for now.

As an alternative, would you accept www.mydomain.co.za/catalog as my prac submission?

Thanks
Viresh
Mac
May 30, 2007 07:36PM
Yes- go for you own domain, by all means! Just email me the URL, allowing me access to back-end as well. 12 on our server - if I remember correctly - is not activated yet.
May 30, 2007 07:40PM
Great thank you. That solves my problems!!

I'll send you the URL and give access to back-end to see database etc.
June 11, 2007 12:52PM
Hi Mac

Please find my osCommerce catalog submission at: quickinfo.co.za
I've also just sent you an email with access to the backend of the site.

I did have a few problems. In the admin section I had warning messages about missing zone values (i.e. tep_get_zone() in general.php). I did manage to add all 9 provinces though. The system just did not want to recognise a particular zone. Not sure why, even after viewing the osCommerce forums suggestions.

Also, on the catalog, once a customer selects a product, the billing address fields were not showing up. I couldn't find the file that deals with billing addresses, though I think it was probably a syntax error. The order could be processed though.

I also added 2 products for download. The product download box shows up right at the end, but doesn't download the .zip file I placed in the catalog/download folder. I tried changing the permissions, but it didn't solve the problem. Not sure why. Other than that everything else seems to be working fine.

Thanks
Viresh
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login