Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

DL course @ Meraka

Posted by KeithF 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
DL course @ Meraka
January 15, 2008 11:06AM
Anyone here attending the description logic course at Meraka?
Re: DL course @ Meraka
January 15, 2008 11:19AM
i'd like to but i'm struggling to find info on it...
Anonymous User
January 15, 2008 11:19AM
hopefully not. I hope to pass next weeks exam, and even if I don't I can't afford to take time off work so I guess I would have to do the year long course... but lets not even consider that smiling smiley
Anonymous User
January 15, 2008 11:20AM
For postgraduate students interested to enroll for COS460 (Capita Selecta in the School of Computing for 2008 - more information at the end of this mail), there is the option available to do the course in February 2009 instead of using the distance teaching mode.

The following is a notice from Dr Meyer the responsible lectuer : "In addition to the normal distance teaching mode COS460-H will also be presented as a series of face-to-face lectures at the Meraka Institute in Pretoria during February 2008. Students attending the lecture series will have the option of completing the whole course during February. The lectures will commence on 5 February and student wishing to attend need to contact the organisers by 31 January. More details about this option, including information about the dates, the venue, and the contact details of the organisers can be found at http://www.meraka.org.za/KSG/events.html.";

For more information contact

COS460H Capita Selecta: Description Logics

About this module: This module is an introduction to description logics. The emphasis is on a formal approach to knowledge representation based on description logics. The module provides an introduction to a variety of description logics, which includes a formal specification of the languages used, the provision of a formal semantics, and a discussion of tableaux-based reasoning procedures.

Objective of the module: The purpose of the module is to present and evaluate description logics as knowledge representation languages with an emphasis on building and reasoning with ontologies, as well as the connections that description logics have with database theory.

Assumed background: Students are required to have a background in basic discrete mathematics for Computer Science, comparable to the content of the module COS101S. Students who register for this module should either be registered for COS407C, or have completed COS407C or equivalent.
January 15, 2008 11:26AM
I'm not registered for this module through Unisa, but by the looks of it, I should be? Will I be able to, considering I haven't completed my B.Sc. yet?

Any ideas?
Anonymous User
January 15, 2008 03:36PM
its an honours course, so if you are doing honours at unisa you can register for it if you want to. not sure if thats even what you are asking?
January 15, 2008 03:57PM
Got hold of the lecturer, and she said 'no-go'. Oh well, I'm sure the course will be interesting and worthwhile on it's own merits.
January 18, 2008 02:14PM
smiling smiley but if you are doing honours (and honours exams) how do you reregister if you results are not out??
Anonymous User
January 18, 2008 02:36PM
if you are now writing your first set of honours exams and you know you want to still do this subject you can already do a registration -they won't register you exactly as yet - or maybe with this subject they will make special whatevers to register you... it just doesn't make much sense that they offering a course that starts before the actual honours year starts.......
February 07, 2008 04:51PM
Anyone else attending? I don't see you there!
February 08, 2008 08:04AM
matthew Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone else attending? I don't see you there!

I'm there; I dunno who you are smile

I generally sit at the back, my name is
Lelanthran Manickum, although all the CSIR
people call me Lee.

Hope to find you there today smile
Anonymous User
February 08, 2008 09:02AM
i won't be there cause i still don't know if I passed cos460 exam that I wrote a few weeks back. also, just started a new job so they will not take too kindly to me vanishing for a week

what are the lectures like?
February 08, 2008 11:33AM
Is anyone recording the lectures onto casettes or drives? If so I would love a copy!

,= ,-_-. =.
 ((_/)o o(\_))
  `-'(. .)`-'
      \_/
http://ilanpillemer.com
Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem
Anonymous User
February 11, 2008 12:12PM
has anyone who registered for this module in 2008 and hasn't gone to lectures received any documentation yet?
February 11, 2008 01:58PM
Hi. I haven't registered for the module, but you can find the Tutorial Letter 1 about the Description Logics course in the downloads section.
Anonymous User
February 11, 2008 02:12PM
cheers!
February 11, 2008 05:14PM
smiling smiley i'm sort of in the front left... (the light is better there).

i'm enjoying it because i've never been to a varsity with lectures before... i was going to try and record but i haven't got around tot hat.

so far we have gone though:
* what is a conceptual schema
* ER & UML and how they can be regarded as conceptual schemas
* why we are interested in conceptual schemas
* brief summary of propositional logic
* brief summary of first order logic

tomorrow we start the DL part of the course.
Anonymous User
February 12, 2008 07:19AM
so.. so far you have basically just covered stuff that is done in either undergrad courses or in other post grad courses?
February 12, 2008 08:23AM
celene Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> so.. so far you have basically just covered stuff
> that is done in either undergrad courses or in
> other post grad courses?

From what my sup. says, yes...
February 12, 2008 05:48PM

i won't be there cause i still don't know if I passed cos460 exam that I wrote a few weeks back.
Same here:/

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login