Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

assignment 2

Posted by Anonymous User 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Anonymous User
Re: assignment 2
May 18, 2007 10:03AM
no, I don't think anyone has contacted her. I have put this assignment on hold for now as well. I'd rather do an assignment I know is going to get marked if I happen to leave one question out.
May 23, 2007 12:24PM
Hi everybody

I have emailed the lecturer asking if we can download an online dictionary (text file) and use that.

As soon as she replies, i will let you guys know.
Anonymous User
May 23, 2007 12:44PM
thanks! smiling smiley
May 25, 2007 12:16PM
Hi

I am afraid the lecturer has not replied to my email yet. Seeing as i am going to work on the assignment this weekend, i am going use a dictionary text file.

I suggest you guys do the same. And then as soon as she lets me know, i will pass on the message to you guys. Then we can alter our programs if need be.
Anonymous User
May 25, 2007 01:00PM
smiling smiley did you conrtact her via the email address on the phorums or the one we are supposed to email our assignments to?
May 25, 2007 01:11PM
umm... i am not aware of any email address on the phorum.

I used the one in the tut letter (the one we email our assignments to)
And I have emailed her via this address before... so i am guessing its the right one.
Anonymous User
May 25, 2007 02:34PM
yep, its the right one - I know the one thats on osprey and myUnisa doesn't work.
Anonymous User
May 29, 2007 11:13AM
has anyone figured out how to even just make the anagrams? any pointers in the right direction for me?

Thanks!
CElene
May 29, 2007 11:59AM
i guess that the anagrams is a simple combinatorics problem... which makes me wonder if this assignment has anything to do with linguistics...
May 30, 2007 08:53AM
well, the algorithm is a bit tricky. weird enough, the simplest way is to use recursion. it helps to know a thing or two about permutations for this one.
Well, it helps me anyway.
May 30, 2007 12:05PM
Whats so weird about that? The simplest way to do lots of things is recursion.(Just not always the most resource friendly)

--
"Knowledge has much better uses than self-pity and superiority"
May 30, 2007 03:57PM
well its just a matter of opinion - it's "weird" for me
May 31, 2007 03:44PM
smiling smiley i love recursion... but i don't get what mangling a bunch of letters into various combinations has to do with language processing... but maybe i expect too much.
June 04, 2007 08:04AM

i love recursion... but i don't get what mangling a bunch of letters into various combinations has to do with language processing... but maybe i expect too much.
I finally got around to reading chapter 3 and this is my take on things.
We are not meant to use a dictionary that has every single possible word in it (as this would be far too easy, large and as you have said have nothing to do with language processing)
Instead we are meant to use a stem dictionary and construct a FST and use this to validate the words.

I could be wrong but I think this is the case, anyone else care to comment? tongue sticking out smiley

--
June 04, 2007 08:28AM
I think if that were the case, it would have been stated properly in the question that we are supposed to do it that way.
June 04, 2007 08:46AM
I think the context of the question implies it, the entire chapter is about FST's and the question is part of the chapter. Normally this means that the question requires you to use knowledge gained from the chapter it is a way of learning.
It is perhaps a badly written question but just generating all possible combinations and checking them against a file is preschool stuff and has nothing to do with what we are meant to be learning so I would be quite shocked if that is what we are expected to do...

--
June 04, 2007 08:57AM
Maybe somebody should email the lecturer...

She hasn't yet replied the email I sent to her 2 weeks ago.
June 04, 2007 12:00PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I finally got around to reading chapter 3 and this
> is my take on things.
> We are not meant to use a dictionary that has
> every single possible word in it (as this would be
> far too easy, large and as you have said have
> nothing to do with language processing)
> Instead we are meant to use a stem dictionary and
> construct a FST and use this to validate the
> words.
>
> I could be wrong but I think this is the case,
> anyone else care to comment? tongue sticking out smiley

i don't think so... chapter 3 seems to say that a FST for english is massively complex... also, i'm not sure of any decent strategy to generate anagrams using all the letters in the original word and how a FST would fit into that.
June 04, 2007 12:21PM
You would still generate all possible combinations, but in order to check if they are valid words you would run them against the FST instead of against a giant dictionary.
It would be both A) faster and cool smiley take up far less space on disk.

As for it being complex, this is an honours subject right? ;/

--
June 04, 2007 03:37PM
malcolm Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You would still generate all possible
> combinations, but in order to check if they are
> valid words you would run them against the FST
> instead of against a giant dictionary.
> It would be both A) faster and cool smiley take up far less
> space on disk.
>
> As for it being complex, this is an honours
> subject right? ;/

hrm.... you might be right - but based on how i perceived the question that is not what is required.

i don't know if the FST would be faster tho... a well index in memory dictionary (or just a collection like a java set) would take up a lot more memory but would be lightening fast on query.
June 04, 2007 09:46PM
Note also how the question is not specific about which language to use.
June 04, 2007 10:24PM
Or which operating system it is for tongue sticking out smiley

--
June 05, 2007 10:08AM
Well, its a bit mysterious...doing a basic dictionary-based anagram solver can be done in 10 lines or less of python code. On the other hand, chapter 3 is merely an introduction to FST's and I get the impression that a full English language FST is a distinctly non-trivial task (and that Ch 3 is by no means a sufficient preparation).
June 05, 2007 10:18AM
Well perhaps some kind of middle ground? IE/ not a full english language FST but a basic one that does some of the concepts?
I am just grasping at straws here, but the basic dictionary based anagram solver just seems too simple for me, In fact I would consider coding it a complete waste of my time and an insult as it has nothing to do with the subject at hand.

--
June 05, 2007 10:25AM
The assignment lists the "on-line" Dictionary as one of the 5 files we must submit, which I guess means it should infact be a file and not a real online dictionary? sad smiley

--
June 05, 2007 10:37AM
Yes, i think the dictionary needs to be a text file. There are some that you can download from the net.
Anonymous User
June 05, 2007 10:46AM
I got a text file and sent that. I know my project doesn't do what it must but I don't have the patience to sit and struggle with it at the moment. Also, my code is done in perl - so I have source code and thats it.. there is no executable code....
June 05, 2007 11:15AM
Can't get the lecturer on the phone either.. Sometimes I wonder what I am actually paying for

--
June 05, 2007 11:20AM
I am with you Celene

I am going to code it in C++, and use a dictionary text file.
Then i am going to submit it and forget about it!
Anonymous User
June 05, 2007 11:24AM
and start worrying about assignment 3 winking smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login