Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)

Posted by psnel 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)
February 06, 2007 08:51AM
I'm having trouble finding the prescribed textbook, any help would be great!

JURAFSKY, D and MARTIN, J H.
Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to
Natural Language Processing, Computational
Linguistics, and Speech Recognition. Prentice Hall:
Upper Saddle River, New Jersey, 2000. ISBN 0-13-
122798-X.
Hi

Is this definitely the prescribed book for 2007? I ask because I would like to do this subject but can only register after 20 Feb.....

I looked for prices of the book, this is what I found so far (not guaranteeing that they actually have the books)

Exclusive - R 1,280.00
Kalahari- R958.95
Juta - R 869.26

I also aske Armstrong for the price - they don't have the book in stock...
Re: Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)
February 07, 2007 08:25AM
Hi celene,

Thanks for the info.

Yes this is the prescribed book (I've already registered)

I think this promises to be an exiting subject.

Van Schaik Hatfield responded to an e-mail, sying they don't stock yet, but it is on order
Approximate price : R 695.50

They'll reserve one and phone me when it arrives - i'm awaiting an approx ETA (will post back if they reply)
Re: Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)
February 07, 2007 08:40AM
(would the lecturer please comment on suitability of other (newer) versions and editions of this textbook. Tx)

Found this on
--- kalahari.net ---
SPEECH AND LANGUAGE PROCESSING: AN INTRODUCTION TO NATURAL LANGUAGE PROCESSING, COMPUTATIONAL LINGUISTICS AND SPEECH RECOGNITION
Author(s): Dan Jurafsky; James H. Martin
Publisher: PRENTICE-HALL
ISBN: 9780131227989
Published: 2003

Format: Softcover
Normal Price: R966.95
Delivery: Usually within 12 working days.
---

NOTE: the publish date and ISBN are different. Is this still fine - I would actually prefer a newer version if we had a choice... as a matter of fact, there's a yet-to-be-released second ed:

--- Amazon.com ---
[2nd ed]
Speech and Language Processing (2nd Edition) (Hardcover)
by Daniel Jurafsky (Author), James H. Martin (Author)
# Hardcover: 944 pages
# Publisher: Prentice Hall; 2 edition (December 1, 2006)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0131873210
# ISBN-13: 978-0131873216
Price: $64.00

Pre-Order Price Guarantee! Order now and if the Amazon.com price decreases between your order time and release date, you'll receive the lowest price. See Details
Availability: This title has not yet been released. You may order it now and we will ship it to you when it arrives. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

and also the prescribed one...

Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Speech Recognition (Paperback)

Price: $78.85
You Save: $23.55 (23%)

Availability: In Stock. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com. Gift-wrap available.

Want it delivered Thursday, February 8? Order it in the next 16 hours and 56 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

11 used & new available from $68.16
hi, is this your first year of honours? or did you do some other type of magic in order to get registered already?
February 07, 2007 07:54PM
he he.. magic, yes. I performed a Time-displacement incantation, and slowed time so that it if I start my honours in 2003, I finish it in 2008...

I skipped last year so I could focus on work (after burning my fingers on a project-module/work combo -- TIP: don't mix business & pleasure!)
This is my last & only credit this year. Incidentally, it's the earliest I've ever registered at any university - I went in and sat in the queue for hours, if that answers your question.

btw.
Van Schaik replied... ETA unknown
They've only ordered 4 copies (one is mine)
is this the "new" text book - I saw some palce that they changed the textbook for this year and we must ignore what tut letter 101 says and get the book from tut 102...
ignore my last comment - I got muddled with COS405 - there is a new text book there....
hello psnel.. sorry, can't see your real name anywhere...

can I ask a huge favour - would you be able to email me tut 101 for this subject?

Thanks a billion!
celene
avatar Re: Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)
March 12, 2007 11:47AM
Did anyone manage to figure out which versions of this textbook are/aren't okay yet?
Speech and Language Processing: An Introduction to Natural Language Processing, Computational Linguistics and Speech Recognition (Paperback)

got it from amazon.co.uk
avatar Re: Where can I find the Textbook? (JURAFSKY (2000), Speech and Language Processing...)
March 12, 2007 12:43PM
Yeah but what about the second edition?
I don't know sad smiley
March 14, 2007 09:09AM
tut 101 is basically a one page thing by the way, it has assignment 1 on it which is just a bunch of question/page numbers from textbook sad smiley

Do you still need it? I can probably send you a copy on thursday if you do.
thanks, I got registered so I have the tut letter smiling smiley
April 20, 2007 10:19AM
Hi there. Have you guys got your textbooks yet?

I have ordered mine from Amazon.co.uk in March but it hasnt arrived yet :-(

I asked the lecturer for an extension but she said she couldn't. I am in a bit of a pickle now...
yeah, I ordered mine in feb and got it a week later - from amazon.co.uk - maybe just check to see if they have sent the book to you yet...
April 20, 2007 02:09PM
I got this from armstrongs - after already ordering my book... maybe give them a call? R326 is a good price!

Dear Customer

You previously enquired about the book Speech and Language Processing, by Jurafsky. Copies have been received @ R325.95.

We will beat the prices of other bookshops. If you find lower prices than ours, we will give you even better prices!

Regards

Siza Gcwabaza
Armstrong's Books
Tel +27 11 8886732
Fax +27 11 8884429
Cel 073 218 8908
PS Prices are subject to change due to exchange rates & publisher prices.
Books are not reserved, unless you ask me to do so.
Books can only be reserved for three days.
If not reserved, stock availability cannot be guaranteed.
April 20, 2007 03:35PM
I am afraid there is no Armstrongs bookshop in Durbs.

The lecturer said she could photocopy the notes for me and i must pick it up, but she is all the way in pretoria.

I asked her if she can fax it to me... I really hope she comes through for me.

Can you guys maybe tell me how many pages we are looking at for the first 2 chapters?

Thanks very much.
chpt 1 is just "background", chpt 2 is more important - I can't recall off hand how many pages - I will bring my book on monday (or will try to remember) and then scan in chpt 2 on monday (after everyone has left work).. and then I can email it to you? let me have your email address by monday if you still need the q's
April 20, 2007 04:14PM
That will be really helpful. I will let you know on Monday morning if I am still stuck.

Thanks very much smile
April 23, 2007 08:53AM
Hi

I have managed to sort out the book. I borrowed it from another University library.

Thanks
oki doki smiling smiley
April 25, 2007 12:50AM
Hi guys

I seem to have come to this very late. Major problems with registration (still not sorted out). Even if I express courier it from Amazon it won't arrive before the 1st of May. Would it be possible for someone to *please* scan chapter 2 and send it to me via email?

thanks!

Chris
April 25, 2007 07:49AM
Chapter 2 is mostly just the basics of regular expressions and some really simple finite state network stuff, If nobody sends you it you could probably do the assignment just by reading up on both on the net. (Wikipedia is a good place to start)
April 25, 2007 08:05AM
You're probably right about being able to find suitable material on the internet, but

- the questions are in the textbook (the assignment refers to pages and question numbers from the textbook)
- the tutorial letter seems to stress the importance of using the textbook's notation to answer the questions, not having seen the questions i'm not sure how relevant this is to assignment 1
April 25, 2007 09:05AM
Hi Chris

This might be a long shot but are you situated in Pretoria?
Because if you are, you should contact the lecturer. When i was running out of time to get my book, i chatted to her and she offered to photocopy the first 2 chapters. All you have to do it pick it up from her office.

So maybe contact the lecturer. She might be able to help you out.
April 25, 2007 09:11AM
Oh yes its one of those subjects where the lecturers are lazy and just use the textbook questions instead of actually doing a proper job :/

Sorry I forgot about that.

Chapter 2 is 34 pages or something which I definitely don't have time to completely scan for you, the questions are only 2 pages though so if nobody else can help you out I will scan those for you.
April 25, 2007 09:18AM
I found this yesterday. Visit this site.
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~martin/slp2.html
I compared the downloaded chapter2 with the one in the textbook (which I received last week) and it is pretty much the same. The introductory quotation is just different and small bits of the content but it should be relevant.

If you have any problems email me at tnaido@csir.co.za and I will send you the first two chapters as pdfs.
April 25, 2007 12:02PM
I noticed that chapter1 is missing from that page. You can find chapter1 here:
http://www.cs.colorado.edu/%7Emartin/SLP/slp-ch1.pdf
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login