Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Prac

Posted by Mac 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Re: Prac
October 25, 2006 04:14PM
1. include file - connection to server:

What kind of info should the connection include file have?

At the moment I have statements that:
- Connect to the server on localhost as in the textbook,
- Select the database [registration] if the connection is OK.

Then in each script I select the appropriate table/s.

2. Cascading and deleting: Delete a course:
- Do I have to remove all linked students to that course from [students] and all entries in [course_student]?

Thanks
October 29, 2006 11:29PM
Hi Mac

I also have two questions:

1: The "Year of Registration" field in the course_student table; should it hold the year in which the student registers? As in the current year? Which will make all the current entries 2006?

2: Then I also am awaiting your response on the above question regarding the delete of a course. I have it at the moment that the reference simply gets deleted but the student info stay in tact. When one queries the student it simple shows that the student has not selected a course. Should we include an option in the "View Registrations" section for students not linked to a course?

Eagerly awaiting your reply.
Johan
Mac
Re: Prac
October 30, 2006 09:01AM
Yes, the connection script allows me to change the server, database and login information on just one page.

One normally leaves the student info intact. Whether you leave his history intact you can decide. But for purposes of this prac, if you delete the course, and I select a student which previosuly was linked to this course, then that course should be unlinked from the student, i.e. you' delete a course, you delete all references to that course. But if you want to take it further, then you're welcome. But then you'll have to make it clear what is shown.

Year of registration - all current entries will be 2006, but since oen would like to use the system in future, the code will automatically get the date and use the year. i.e. if I use it now, registration is 2006. Next year the system will use 2007. Now you can get away with it and just hardcode the date for purpose of this assignment. But I check what you did and adjust your mark accordingly.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login