Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Suitable first-year modules

Posted by stevenv 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Suitable first-year modules
January 01, 2007 01:19PM
Greetings all, hope everybody had a good New Year's celebration smiling smiley

I've been looking at the calendar for the BSc (Software Engineering stream) to see which first-year modules I still have to complete. I've finished all the required modules but still have to choose another three to make up the required 14. The calendar says you can choose suitable modules to make up the balance but I'm not sure what modules I can or should choose.

Does anybody know where I can find a list of these suitable modules or at least a recommended list that I can choose from? I'm aware that I can take the MAT modules still but maths is not my strongest so I would rather avoid that at all costs.
Re: Suitable first-year modules
January 01, 2007 08:24PM
I might be wrong here but I remember when doing the online registration there was a drop down list of the modules that would count towards my BSC Software Engineering.
Anonymous User
January 02, 2007 09:54AM
I seem to recall the MAT modules were compulsory.... if they no longer are then take some philosophy or psych or even business modules? I have seen thats mostly what other people take.
avatar Re: Suitable first-year modules
January 02, 2007 10:14AM
take psychology, there are two of them(did it in 2002) and it is offered in semester fashion, also communication 101 was sinfully easy (also semester).

best of luck !!!!
January 02, 2007 10:29AM
Thanks for the suggestions deveng. Do you maybe remember what the codes were for those modules?

Up until now I've been doing year modules only, how do the semester modules work? Do you do two semesters to count a single credit or would that count as two? Also, I presume there would be exams for each semester then?

From what I've read, the MAT modules are only compulsory if you want to do numerical methods in second year which is not a compulsory subject. Hope I'm right on this confused smiley
January 02, 2007 10:30AM
I did 2 semester OPS subjects as "fillers". Also very easy. You do need a programmable calculator for the 2nd module, however.
OPS101G OPERATIONS RESEARCH 101 - INTRODUCTION TO THE BUSINESS WORLD
OPS102H O PERATIONS RESEARCH 101 - MODELING IN A FINANCIAL ENVIRONMENT
January 02, 2007 02:30PM
You only need to take the 3 additional MAT* modules if you decide to do COS2338 in the 2nd year (which will limit your options on modules for the 2nd year).

I opted to take MNB101, MNB102 and OPS101, all semester modules. As Reanie said, you might need a programmable calculator for OPS102, they are around 500 bucks...(rather keep it for a future textbook)....
January 02, 2007 08:12PM
Or make an offer for my old calculator which I only used for 6 months and would never again use....... (If you do the OPS102 option.)

Reanie
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login