Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
avatar Registration advice on module with prerequisite
December 19, 2006 09:03PM
Hello everyone,

Hope you all enjoying the holidays.smile

I just want to bother you'll with one more thing.

I have 12 more subjects to complete in order to attain my degree. I was planning to complete it within the next 2 years, hopefully.
However I now feel like completing it next year. One problem though, COS311 requires COS214 to be completed first.
I didn't plan to try and complete my degree next year and thus never do COS214 as yet. I know I should of thought of doing COS214
this year but my plan changed unfortunately.

I was wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to do COS311 and COS214 in then same year?
Has anyone done something like this before?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance. And enjoy the festive season.smoking smiley
avatar Re: Registration advice on module with prerequisite
December 20, 2006 08:33AM
The yearbook (no 2) states that a prerequisite for COS311 are COS211 and (COS212 or 214).
On page 10 of the same yearbook it gives a definition of prerequisite:
If Module A is a prerequisite for Module B, a student must pass Module A before he/she enrols for Module B.
So, unfortunately, it seems you must have passed (COS211 and COS212) OR (COS211 and COS214). If you've done COS211 and COS212, you're OK.
Reanie
December 20, 2006 01:54PM
u can ask them to let you enrol for both at the same time, but i think they would only do it in your last year of completion when you have failed a pre-requisite and need to do the pre-req. in order to select a module so as to complete your degree.
Anonymous User
Re: Registration advice on module with prerequisite
December 20, 2006 03:34PM
Hi

I know of people who have registered for pre-requisite and the 3rd year module at the same time - unisa does allow it.. but honestly, unless you are doing your 12 subjects full time, DONT do what you want to do. COS311 needs a lot of time and effort. I don't know what your other subjects are but you will go insane trying to do all that part time in 1 year.
tc
December 20, 2006 04:32PM
Hi Celene,

wud you know what the workload is for

COS261
COS301
COS321

i've registered for these 2 and will also register for 311 if i pass 211 in Jan
Anonymous User
December 21, 2006 10:20AM
COS321 - its a lot of reading but not tooo bad - there isn't too much of a practical side - few bits and pieces.
COS301 - about the same workload as cos201
COS261 - thats not too bad either - as long as you grasp the concepts though - if you didn't do too well with formal logic 1 you may struggle a bit.

Cos 311 - I see they are changing the syllabus from when I did it so it may not be too bad anymore but I have found the first year when they change syllabuses is always a bit hectic.
tc
December 21, 2006 11:02AM
thanks a lot smile
December 21, 2006 08:11PM
Thank you all so much for the advice. Well Most likely I'll be doing full time studies if I don't find a job by then.

My subjects left are:
COS321
COS311
COS214
COS226
INF303
INF305
INF307
INF308
STA301
STA302
AUE202 &
another business man subject

Well I'll decide next year if I'll do them all but only if I can manage.
But please do tell me if you yourself would be able to manage and if I'm underestimating the task because I'm really not sure.

Thanks again.
Anonymous User
December 22, 2006 08:59AM
Hi
I did 5 and 6 subjetcs in my last 2 years. I coped part time but at that time I had a job I could do in my sleep (although I would not have managed 12 part time). I know now I can't handle 6 cause I work about 9 hours a day and still sit in traffic for 3+ hours. Not much time for studying.

Your INF subjects are a lot of reading and inf307 (or is it 305) - is a lot of work espeically if you have never worked with SQL before. I know many people find that module time consuming. As for the STA and AUE modules - your guess is as good as mine winking smiley I think you will manage full time, but just rememebr - what happens at the end of the year and exams and you maybe find yourself with a brand new job..... will your company let you take study leave etc?
December 22, 2006 04:58PM
Thanks Celene.smile

I think I will try to complete my degree next year.

Well I'm sure you live in JHB with 3 hours of traffic.

Most likely if I do get a job the company may allow half day of leave but that should be ok. But I wont search the planet for a job right now.smile

I never really worked hard in studies in my life but next year I definately will!

First year I completed 11/12 and this year 7/7. So I hope I can do the rest next year.

Celene will next year be your last year of studies?
Anonymous User
December 28, 2006 11:04AM
Hi, I am doing my first year of honours - 5 subjects. We only write exams in jan/feb (cry) so I will have to see how things go. If I do pass everything then I will do my last 5 subjects in 2007.. if I don't pass.. well...maybe I can fall down on the floor and start throwing a tantrum?

And yes.. Jhb is where I "live"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login