Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

General question on COS321: Operating systems & architecture

Posted by 34898425 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
General question on COS321: Operating systems & architecture
December 15, 2006 08:28PM
Hi

I am trying to decide on my course selection for 2007. I have a question for those that have done COS321 and would really appreciate any feedback:

The UNISA Calendar/Course syllabus says that part of COS321 deals with the study of the UNIX operating system. What aspects of UNIX are taught in this course? To be more specific - does it teach shell scripting (bash,csh, ...)

Thanks & regards
Re: General question on COS321: Operating systems & architecture
December 16, 2006 02:45PM
Only a few UNIX commands will be done through the assignment (the last one), and for the exams, you will be asked to define some UNIX commands for 8-10 marks (similar to those given in the assignment).
Example:
QUESTION 8 / VRAAG 8
Explain exactly what each of the following Linux commands does:
Verduidelik presies wat elk van die volgende Linux-opdragte doen:
(a) cp -f myfile mynewfile
(b) mkdir myfiles
(c) chmod 777 *file
(d) ls -l -t| grep my*
(e) mv myfile myoldfile
December 16, 2006 09:32PM
Thanks for the reply Michelle. BTW: Congrats on passing your degree with distinction- that's an astounding achievement! (you nerd! tongue sticking out smiley)

Regards
Anonymous User
December 18, 2006 10:57AM
there is very little specific unix coverage in COS321
Anonymous User
December 19, 2006 02:37PM
I think that just wanted to give some brief exposure to the command line environment.
The focus is more on the the theoretical aspects of the operating systems touched on,such as internal features, design choices, concurrency, file systems, etc.

I did not regret taking it.
avatar Re: General question on COS321: Operating systems & architecture
December 20, 2006 01:50PM
well u got the Unix cd to play around with and u can use it to play with some of the theory by googling unix commands etc.. and seeing how things are implemented. I think that this is one of the easier 3rd year COS modules and this was my highest mark for 3rd year cos modules.

good course to do !!!!
avatar Re: General question on COS321: Operating systems & architecture
December 29, 2006 11:41AM
Oh yes, and the Knoppix cd I received rocks. Smooth and it has no qualms about supporting divx, mp3 with xine, etc. Kdevelop is standard, so I am smacking my lips at trying that out. Openoffice version 1.x but thats the help document which could be outdated, maybe. I never try that. Better than Ubuntu in some regards, but that is 10minute impression.
And xawtv had settings for my leadtek tv card , and regional settings included south africa, which was a first in my experience.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login