Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CEM101 - Compulsory or not

Posted by Tracey 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
CEM101 - Compulsory or not
October 30, 2006 09:48PM
When I started studying at Unisa three years ago towards a degree CEM101 was not compulsory but was just one of the modules that could be taken. Now I see in the latest Calendar that it is compulsory. I have nearly finished all my first year modules so would I still have to do CEM101 as well? From what I hear its a really basic course that I really don't think I need. I don't want to waste money on another subject when I've bought all my books for all my first year modules.
avatar Re: CEM101 - Compulsory or not
October 31, 2006 08:20AM
I believe it should be an easy subject to get exemption(without credit) from, especially if you did high school computer science for instance, Perhaps you should try this route. If you explain that it wasn't part of the curriculum when you started they would probably also take that into consideration.

Good luck avoiding it its an insult to the intelligence of anyone who actually knows what a computer is ;/
Re: CEM101 - Compulsory or not
October 31, 2006 09:29AM
I also started three years ago, dunno if CEM101 was compulsory or not back then (think it was) but I did it this year anyway. Pretty much a free credit as far as I'm concerned except for the pain of having to go in to write seven tests (i.e. taking time off work etc). The only thing that drastically irritates me is that it is compulsory and is the most expensive undergrad course: in the region of R1500 and you have to pay for every test you write as well as for rewrites. IMHO you should have to write some kind of competency test and failing that, have to take this course otherwise be automatically given the credit based on the fact that you know what you're doing. The entire course is pretty much a joke if you know how to use Windows and Office.
Anonymous User
October 31, 2006 11:30AM
Hi
If it was not compulsory when you started your degree, you don't have to do it. Just make sure that it wasn't compulsory in your first year. I managed to get away with not doing it because it didn't even exist when I started. then again I still did INF103 ....
November 02, 2006 07:59PM
Thanks for the help.
Who do I contact to make sure I don't have to do it?
R1500 is alot to spend on something I really don't need.
avatar Re: CEM101 - Compulsory or not
November 02, 2006 08:56PM
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login