Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Why can we not see any replies in 2005 forum?

Posted by jeanbodemer 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
Why can we not see any replies in 2005 forum?
October 29, 2006 09:26PM
When going to the 2005 forum you can only see one post in a thread, regardless of the number of replies.

Anyone else notice this?
avatar Re: Why can we not see any replies in 2005 forum?
October 30, 2006 07:56AM
Jip, I've also noticed it.
Re: Why can we not see any replies in 2005 forum?
October 30, 2006 09:00AM
Is anyone planning to fix this, who can we contact?
Mac
October 30, 2006 04:48PM
The main reason for upgrading the current forum software was because of a tremendous increase in spam attacks, especially on 2005 forums, which runs on older software. The 2006 forum software was sucessfully upgraded - the 2005 remains a problem because of other configuration options we exercised more than a year ago.

Osprey does not have the benefit to recognise you as a registered Unisa student (we don't have access to the relevant Unisa server, since we're considered rogues smiling smiley. We are thus forced to allow registration on the forum (MyUnisa does not), which creates opportunities for spam robots. We are dependent on the developers of our forum software for closing these holes, the other option being to rewrite the forum software (which MyUnisa is doing).

It's a trade-off. We've tried to close threads on 2005 forums (older software) to stop these attacks, without apparent success - hence your posts. 2006 forums is no problem.

Where does this leave you? We're trying very hard to solve this. An upgrade of 2005 software is not the solution at this stage. Please hang in there. You're frustrations are taken seriously. However, 2005 forums are an added bonus, so please take that into account.
October 30, 2006 06:09PM
Thanks for the quick reply.

I know it is a bonus to have last years forum but keep in mind that having that information is very important to us. I have found countless solutions to problems that I have now in last years forums (the only problem is that the detail isn't there anymore).

I've also noticed that 2004 forum doesn't work but 2003 forum has no problems.
Mac
October 31, 2006 03:25PM
Yes, the info is valuable, for sure. It's like a library. I've been pushing to make it available when there was some initial and valid resistance to it, so I'm 100% with you. The problem is the older the software, the more it is prone to spam. The 2004 forums in particular was stopped for this reason when it got spammed overnight to the point of ridiculous. Theoretically one can upgrade stepwise to a more secure version, but at some point is just becomes too big a job for one person who uses it as a research effort. Having said that, I promise I will try as hard as I can to find a solution - even it it means transporting the threads to browsable desktop-based respository which you can download to your PC. Anyone knows of such software (?)let me know otherwise I'll have to script-export it. Eish.
October 31, 2006 03:40PM
Just for interest sake, how can they spam a forum?

Do they create replies with add, steal e-mail information or something else?
October 31, 2006 09:12PM
Perhaps im missing something obvious but can't you simply lock the old forums so that they are read only?
Mac
November 03, 2006 08:02AM
Some spammer register as users - others use bots. How these bots work is guesswork - which is why its difficult to stop them.

Cannot lock older versions.... only recently added as an add-on to the software. Will rather remove the post function completely in the future.
Mac
November 03, 2006 03:49PM
The 2005 forum has now disappeared completely during all the efforts to stop spamming. I've mailed phorum developers but got not concrete answers, so I'm trying to restore and then just remove the post functions. What I will do when its back online is to download the site as a html package that you can run from your desktop, allowing you to peruse it offline. Hope that will make up for it not being available.... This is priority for me on Monday. Sorry about that.

Oh, read-only (which is different to locking it) does not stop the posting function somehow. Not sure if the bots bypass that even if it is disabled.
November 03, 2006 04:10PM
Thanks for the help mac.
November 06, 2006 08:50AM
By read only I meant not a read only setting in the phorum software itself but rather totally blocking write permissions to the database (I assume it uses some form of sql backend - probably mysql) for the software.

This would cause any attempt by the phorum software to write to the database to fail completely. While still allowing reads. If the software is well written an approach like this might be viable.

Of course im just throwing suggestions around smiling smiley I have never actually run one of these so I have no idea exactly how it works or how well written it is tongue sticking out smiley
November 06, 2006 10:59AM
You could also try setting file security permissions, if it's not using DB back-end. (another idea...) smile
Mac
November 07, 2006 08:24AM
Correct, I could create a mysql user with no write permissions, removing the post function is probably better i.t.o. user administration. Less users is less risk (I think). But then again I'm considering creating folders for each year 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, etc so that all forums are accessible through one interface and runs on the same version of software (and upgrades). Neither options would suit such an approach, but then the software would take care of that.... hopefully. But these spammers are always one step ahead it seems moody smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login