Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Telkom

Posted by rklopper 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
August 15, 2006 01:58PM
Hi there!

Yeh yeh, I know the Telkom debate has been going on for ages, but still there is no change.....

I read today on ITweb that there is a consumer campaign on the go. They are going to put a full page add in a national news paper to address the issue. Well worth a read:

http://www.itweb.co.za/sections/telecoms/2006/0608151047.asp?A=LEG&S=Legal%20View&O=FPIN

The campaign is headed up by Richard Frank.... richard@tectonic.co.za.

I think this is really a worhtwhile cause to support! Any thoughts on this?

Riaan
Anonymous User
Re: Telkom
August 16, 2006 11:48AM
Hi there

not sure if you have seen this article about Telkom's rival planning to launch at the end of this month...

http://www.ioltechnology.co.za/article_page.php?iArticleId=3393946

i guess some people are frustrated and if no one plans to do something about it - stop using their service - at present Telkom knows they are the only ones around....but not for long

not sure if you would agree with me on this...i guess only time will tell

- jesse

August 16, 2006 08:29PM
The problem with the SNO is that they're going to have to piggy-back on Telkom's network for quite some time until they can get their feet on the ground so don't hope for miracles too soon ...
August 17, 2006 09:43AM
Also perhaps im just terribly pessimistic, But as far as im concerned in most cases a duopoly is not much better then a monopoly.

So sometimes they compete in service a bit so the service might be a bit better but at the end of the day its still going to be a closed market and they can still work together to keep prices high and continue raping the consumer for all they can if they so wish.(Which as far as im concerned is exactly what they will do - although I will be glad if I am wrong).

What the country really needs in this industry in particular (Many others as well though), is for the goverment to stop regulating markets (in order to make themselves more money) and to allow free competition.
We are meant to be a 'free market economy' and a 'democracy' afterall are we not?

This is in my opinion where the real problem lies and until people start pushing the goverment not to rob us blind(and allow other companys that they own shares in to rob us blind in the process) it will continue to happen, sadly I don't see this changing anytime soon.
Anonymous User
August 17, 2006 11:32AM
Lets phone Richard Branson and ask him to make a company called Virgin LAnd Lines or something smiling smiley
August 17, 2006 12:12PM
According to Wikipedia, he does own an internet service provider:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virgin_Group
He could consider "branching" a telecomunications service provider off that??
Reanie
August 17, 2006 12:48PM
That guy seriously has too much money for his own good....

-Valkeye
Anonymous User
August 17, 2006 01:59PM
2 quick questions...

1] i use voip at work - how exactly does it work? our company is saving thousands of rands...
i can call someone from every province once a week to a landline - for an hr and my account doesnt come to more than R100 for a month..

2] someone once said it was cheaper to fly to singapore - dial in
than it was from here
is this true smiling smiley
or was someone pulling my leg... tongue sticking out smiley

August 17, 2006 03:30PM
I think celene was joking but anyway, the reason he can't "consider branching a telecommunications provider" off anything in this country is because he is prevented from doing so by law.
This is precisely the problem up until now telkom was the only provider allowed in this country by law (now a second operator has been allowed but nobody else is allowed still).

Were it not for this we would have had other operators here ages ago, we wouldn't even need some overly rich british hippie for that ;/

jesse:
1/ With voip the voice signal is sent over the internet from one computer to another digitally. You still have to pay for the internet connection but as you can send a lot of data similtaenously over one internet connection it still works out far cheaper then normal phone calls, the downside is of course that the person you want to call has to have a computer and voip etc winking smiley

2/That depends on how long you stay connected for and how much you download..
I believe the actual story you are remembering might be that for a certain quantity of data (I can't remember the exact size offhand but lets say 10 gigs for argument sake). That it will actually be cheaper to fly overseas with a harddrive, go to an internet cafe download the file have lunch and then come back then it would to download it from here. (It would be quicker too).

I can't remember the exact figures offhand and don't have the price of plane tickets available so I wont work it out for you, It's definitely true for large quantities of data though...
Anonymous User
August 17, 2006 03:39PM
I think it was for 10 gigs of data...
August 17, 2006 04:22PM
I heard about that 1 too... Good for a laugh! The email I got said 30gig, and they used an internet cafe in Japan I think it was.

Anyway. Moral of the story is: Yes, our internet connections suck. Yes, our telecommunication providers suck.

Yay voip!!

/Ravings of a madman

-Valkeye
Anonymous User
August 17, 2006 05:04PM
skypes also voip isnt it??

sorry for sounding so ignorant
my company is at the cutting edge of technology and i have no clue smiling smiley

but when i chat telephonically to relatives in the UK and NZ who also have skype then it works cheaper...they do the calling most of the time smiling smiley

oh well
only time can tell i guess....
August 17, 2006 07:29PM
The company I work for uses Skype quite regularly to communicate with offices overseas. The VOIP solution only pays for itself when you're either (a) calling people overseas or (b) calling other Skype etc users. I know with Skype its free to call other Skype users but if you're going to be calling landlines or mobile phones, you have to have a Skype-Out account or something like that which means you have to pay for your VOIP calls but even then, it works out substantially cheaper when you're phoning long distance compared with our local carrier.
August 17, 2006 08:29PM
That's about it... You see they got actual IP telephones as well now... They don't plug into your phone line, but rather into a switch (or something like). So even home users don't need to be sitting in front of their computers. To the average Joe Blogs he thinks he's using good ol TelKom.... little does he know that his call uses voip and is free!

-Valkeye
Anonymous User
August 18, 2006 09:37AM
and thats why telkom had a faffy flap when voip was launched.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login