Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

FYI: never 50/50 split the amount you owe UNISA

Posted by stevenv 
Announcements Last Post
Announcement SoC Curricula 09/30/2017 01:08PM
Announcement Demarcation or scoping of examinations and assessment 02/13/2017 07:59AM
Announcement School of Computing Short Learning Programmes 11/24/2014 08:37AM
Announcement Unisa contact information 07/28/2011 01:28PM
FYI: never 50/50 split the amount you owe UNISA
August 07, 2006 09:05AM
Here's what happened to me:

Owed UNISA R1,360 so thought I'd split it over two months and pay R680 each month on my credit card. So at the end of June I paid R680 which went through like a dream. Then at the end of last month, I decided to pay the balance of R680 to settle my account before the cut-off of 15 August. Two weeks later there's no sign of the the amount coming off my student account or credit card and then I get a letter to say I owe R680 on my account and they'll cancel a study unit if I don't pay. After finally getting through to the right people I find out that the system saw the second payment as a duplicate of the first and chucked out the transaction! Thankfully spoke to a really nice lady at the card department who said she'd put through the transaction again.

Moral of the story: do a 49/51 split of what you owe if you don't want excess stress!!!
Re: FYI: never 50/50 split the amount you owe UNISA
August 07, 2006 07:23PM
Oh come on! Can't they check the dates?
avatar Re: FYI: never 50/50 split the amount you owe UNISA
August 07, 2006 11:00PM
No ways! I don't know what to say.. That's so funneh!! Well.. not actually having it happen to you.... that would kinda suck... But that's so shocking that it's funneh! I get the image of stabbing a fork into my eye.. I think it'd be less painfull then working with UNISA accounts department.

-Valkeye
August 08, 2006 07:44PM
They should of just let the second R680 slide by as a way to say sorry for the inconvenience. winking smiley
August 09, 2006 12:18PM
Do you know what the most pathetic thing is? With a university that has an IT department and a school of computing can't even get internet payments right.

You'd think that the payments would be handled just like any other internet-based company and be automatically charged to your credit/debit card by the computer. Well, not so at UNISA.

What happens when you enter your card details is that a record is made in some database on the system and the next working day, some schmuck in the finance department pulls a report and then manually captures the debit information onto another system.

I found this out last year because I wanted to register in December so I could start ordering textbooks before the mad rush. Unfortunately, I registered online and was given an amount to pay but because I did it after the finance department shut down for Christmas, the registration remained provisional and I wasn't sent any tut101 letters telling me what books to buy. I eventually received my study pack in the middle of January.

You'd think that the university would have a bit more automation than that.
August 09, 2006 04:22PM
It's worse than that - according to the most recent bill I have for them, I can't do an electronic transfer into their account. I have to physically deposit the money at ABSA. eye popping smiley
It's like this university just opened last week and they're still figuring out how to run things.

August 09, 2006 04:34PM
Last time I made a credit card payment it took a week (maybe a little more) to go through. Granted UNISA is no big Internet retailing site but a week for a credit card payment is a bit much.
August 09, 2006 05:37PM
"Do you know what the most pathetic thing is? With a university that has an IT department and a school of computing can't even get internet payments right."

In all fairness im pretty sure the payments section is seperate from any actual department and that the IT department has little to no influence on there runnings at all..
August 09, 2006 10:38PM
That was my point exactly. Why don't they utilise your knowledge to get a system running that is more efficient and less error prone than the one they're using at the moment.
August 09, 2006 10:52PM
From dictionary.com:

bu·reauc·ra·cy Audio pronunciation of "bureaucracy" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (by-rkr-s)
n. pl. bu·reauc·ra·cies

1. Administration of a government chiefly through bureaus or departments staffed with nonelected officials.
2. The departments and their officials as a group: promised to reorganize the federal bureaucracy.
1. Management or administration marked by hierarchical authority among numerous offices and by fixed procedures: The new department head did not know much about bureaucracy.
2. The administrative structure of a large or complex organization: a midlevel manager in a corporate bureaucracy.
3. An administrative system in which the need or inclination to follow rigid or complex procedures impedes effective action: innovative ideas that get bogged down in red tape and bureaucracy.

I think the 3rd definition pretty much sums it up ;/
August 10, 2006 07:28AM
Jip, we all have a boss somewhere .....
Anonymous User
August 10, 2006 12:21PM
Unisa hasn't ever accepted electronic transfers - never ever ever - I always just pay by credit card - from myUnisa/old SOL - pretty easy. I thin kthe longest it ever took was a week - thats cause of the whole december shut down thing. Never ever had any problems with them taking my money.
Mel
August 10, 2006 03:08PM
I've never understood what the problem with an electronic payment is - if you put the same reference on it as you would on the deposit slip it's pretty much the same thing.

Out of interest - I was once desperate and did an electronic transfer as I couldn't get to the bank in time and didn't have access to a credit card - I faxed them the proof of payment along with the form telling them I'd paid and they accepted it without a problem. But that was last year. Not so sure if I would be keen to try it this year, lol! smile
August 10, 2006 07:26PM
AHA, You have just raised a plausable reason why they don't want electronic transfers, they're faxophobic.

Imagine if every student did what you did - electronic transfer followed by faxing the deposit slip. How many deposit slips would they receive? Somewhere close to 200 000, maybe? That's a lot of paper to sift through (not to mention the poor schmuck who has to keep loading the fax machine with more paper)
Mel
August 11, 2006 08:15AM
This is true... But if everyone followed the same rules for the reference it wouldn't be a problem, as the faxing wouldn't be necessary! Lol, maybe your unisa application should come with a credit card application by default! smile
Anonymous User
August 11, 2006 10:18AM
if you do an electronic registration then it does ask for credit card payment immedicately....
Mel
August 11, 2006 01:40PM
Oh, I meant an actual credit card application. Sponsored by the bank of your choice!
Anonymous User
August 11, 2006 05:20PM
*cackle* with R500 000 thrown in for free winking smiley
Mel
August 14, 2006 10:58AM
Celene, now you're talking!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login